‎Apple HomeKit integration.. when?! | SimpliSafe Support Home

A

Monday, February 4th, 2019 7:09 AM

Closed

Apple HomeKit integration.. when?!

@Simplisafe, when are you guys finishing up with the HomeKit integration?  It's been too long and the users are wanting this feature now!! pretty please, when are the devs releasing it? Can you at least tell us its in testing phase and a possible ETA?

This conversation has been merged. Please refer the main conversation:

HomeKit compatibility

66 Messages

5 years ago

Never and I purposely purchased this system for HomeKit as the CEO stated on video. Class action lawsuit?

10 Messages

@fastbagger how do you know "Never"?

66 Messages

I don't just venting.

39 Messages

Same here. I'd join the class if there was one. I spoke to a sales representative and he said they were expecting it "in the next few months' when I purchased the product in May 2018. I told him I only wanted it if it would support HomeKit soon. He said that they had just released Alexa capability and he was sure that HomeKit would be there soon. I feel very misled.

25 Messages

If you want HomeKit capability look at iota from abode... https://goabode.com/homekit
Cost is same plus offer self Monitoring in addition.

I'll be switching spring if SimpliSafe doesn't make good on HomeKit integration by then .

292 Messages

5 years ago

I also suspect that if they do come out with it, it will not be compatible with SS1 or SS2.

2 Messages

5 years ago

+1

I invested in this system solely based on the promise of HomeKit integration. I'm very pleased with the system overall...but this one lingering issue is wearing on me. When?! If it's not soon, there's no sense in me keeping the system.

66 Messages

Yup same here

5 Messages

5 years ago

When will this happen @Simplisafe.  Respond to your customers!!!

130 Messages

5 years ago

@kevinmlush

Integrations like home kit need to be signed on by the developers of those devices, IE Home Kit needs Apple's approval to work with Simplisafe. With the way they've been getting hammered in the last 2 years for their garbage, I wouldn't hold my breath with Apple being too quick on anything other than their own stuff.

5 Messages

As a published set of protocols HomeKit can be supported without some sort of express approval from Apple. I have never heard of a manufacturer or vendor delaying support for Homekit because "Apple can't keep up with approvals", and I question whether Apple getting "hammered in the last 2 years for their garbage" is 1) remotely true or 2) constructive or relevant to the point at hand: SimpliSafe mentioned that Homekit integration was coming in 2018 Q2 wayyy back in January/February 2018.

Instead, they've used the past year+ to introduce Google Assistant and Alexa functionality. As someone that uses the Apple ecosystem (as I'm assuming anyone interested in this thread does), my smart security systems are relatively limited - Ring, Nest, and Abode are the major frontrunners. Ring is owned by Amazon and Nest by Google so those devices already have security systems with first-order support - why cover that ground again? SimpliSafe is squandering the opportunity to be the ONLY security vendor with HomeKit support, and at this rate I think Abode might beat them to the punch despite announcing the work a full year later.

2 Messages

Look at the Honeywell lyric system.  It is HomeKit compatible. They even have a recommended door video camera that is compatible. And with their total control software, you can monitor it or control it from anywhere in the world. Provided you pay a local carrier a nominal fee for that. $16 more or less.

It's not cheap, but is the system I'm thinking of getting. They even have a wired to wireless board for under $100 that you can convert a fully wired system into their wireless system.

292 Messages

5 years ago

I am a bit skeptical if SS will release any HomeKit compatibility.  If they were going to, it should have happened already.

It was in June 2017 that Apple quietly announced that it was going to drop the requirement that HomeKit products contain a MFi chip and that authentication could be done via software.  At this time, it was taking upwards of 1 year for Apple to approve any product to be HomeKit compatible.  This announcement took all manufactures by surprise.

Fast forward to January 2018.  SS announces SS3 and says that HomeKit functionality might/will come later in the year.  While I am not an electronics engineer, I suspect that SS had their SS3 system finalized and was either starting or close to starting production at the time Apple announced their intent to no longer require the inclusion of the MFi chip.  So either the new SS3 system had or did not have the required MFi chip.  If it did, they would have been able to advertise that the product was Homekit compatible and could have moved forward with implementation.  Since to date they still have no HomeKit compatibility, that means SS3 did not have the MFi chip designed into it, and thus there was not development on the required software.  

SS has shown no ability to redesign their product, get required FCC approvals, send to production, and then start selling in exactly a 6 month period.  So I would conclude that they had no intention of offering Homekit with SS3.  They were only able to back peddle (lip service) because Apple said that software authentication could be used.  It is my understanding that even with the new Homekit guidelines, Apple still requires the device  to be controlled without the use of the manufactures application.  I just don't see that happening either.

Captain

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

And for someone like me who owns nothing made by Apple (and won't buy anything from Apple), there are a lot of other things I would like to see Simplisafe do before HomeKit integration. :-)

5 years ago

The Alexa skills suck. Can't even disarm system with or without a verbal pin. I'm waiting on HomeKit integration which seems to never be coming. Thinking about switching to Ring. Seems amazons ring will get upgraded to HomeKit before SimpliSafe does solely because Amazon is a bigger player

5 Messages

5 years ago

Count me in
I was also told last year that Homekit was "right around the corner" I wish I had read these comments prior to purchasing. Im ready to switch and will dump the Simplisafe on Ebay.

19 Messages

5 years ago

I'm thinking at this point they are just hoping all of us waiting from HomeKit Support either shut up and go to a different platform or that enough people forget they promised this 16 months ago.

39 Messages

5 years ago

Well I decided to look into the homebridge option for integration ss into hk. Homebridge isn't the way to go. There isn't the ability for homebridge to show that the system is alerting unless A homebridge can find a way to talk directly to base station for updates or B homebridge swamps the api website for an update. That would go for the same with the sensors too...

So, I hope SimpliSafe is really truly developing this ability for apple users. And it contains the same ability as Honeywell system does... it would be awesome to have an automation feature when you open a door up and the light turns on. Or for the system to turn all the lights on when alarming.

The ball is your court SS!!

2 Messages

5 years ago

Another upvote for prioritizing HomeKit support.

6 Messages

5 years ago

HomeKit is NOT COMING ANYTIME SOON.

If it were coming, it would be out by now.  I bought my system a year ago with the promise that HomeKit was coming out a few months later.  A YEAR LATER AND NO HOMEKIT AND NO TIMELINE FOR RELEASE!

I reached out to customer service on 5/11/19 and got this reply:

"I understand you would like to know if SimpliSafe is able to integrate with the Apple HomeKit.

At this time the Apple HomeKit integration is not available. We do not have a specific timeline on when this will be available but once it is an email blast will go out to let you know. At this time we have a limited amount of integrated devices.

Nest Thermostats
August Smart Locks
Amazon Alexa
Google Home / Google Assistant"

I attempted to integrate HomeKit using Homebridge (which works great for so many other devices), but no dice.

25 Messages

@bstendal
Homebridge and Simplisafe3 works for me - note for SS3 you need to use this plugin:
https://github.com/chowielin/homebridge-simplisafe-security-system

10 Messages

Hi there! I just received an email stating that they will not become compatible with HomeKit and have stopped working on it, due to disputes with Apple. As recently as 5/11/19 they have stated that they ARE working on it. They owe a refund to those of us who purchased the product based on this open and notorious promise. This was advertised and they have failed to deliver. It was advertised on the SimpliSafe website and the Apple website.

10 Messages

bstendal, can you please provide the text of the email you received on 5/11/19 as well?

6 Messages

Homebridge Set-up on Mac OS X Catalina

I've used Homebridge before and found it a little tedious.  Not anymore!  There is a new Homebridge UI that is awesome, and a new SimpliSafe plugin that allows you to control just about everything with the system, and view your camera feed, all within the Home app.

If you're not familiar with Homebridge don't worry, with the user interface it is very easy to use, in an hour or two you will have your SimpliSafe 3 system working with HomeKit.  Once Homebridge is installed and configured, from your Home app add an accessory, scan the Homebridge set-up code, and Homebridge will install itself as a bridge between your SimpliSafe 3 alarm system and Apple's HomeKit.

Once you install the bridge the Home app will cycle through all of your compatible SimpliSafe devices (contacts, locks, motion detectors, smoke detectors, temperature sensors, water sensors) so you can set the name, room and toggle favorite for each device.  After set-up you can see status of all devices, lock and unlock doors, and set the alarm to home, away or off.  At this point you will be so amazed you won't even care that keypads, glass break sensors and panic buttons do not appear in the Home app.

Step-by-step instructions for a Mac installation can be found here:  https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge/wiki/Install-Homebridge-on-macOS.  If you are running a different OS use GitHub to find the correct installation details.

My Mac Installation notes (current as of 2/8/20) -  
I opted to install the Current version of node.js including the latest features:  Node.js Version v13.8.0 and Npm Version:  v6.13.6.  Having installed Homebridge before on a different Mac, I cannot say enough good things about the easy-to-use interface in Homebridge Config UI X:  homebridge-config-ui-x v4.10.0.  The plugin I used to control my system is Homebridge Simplisafe3:  homebridge-simplisafe3 v1.4.6.  With Homebridge Config UI X you are able to change your configuration (json file) within the interface, rather than using Atom (or another text editor), and the settings page for each plug-in allows you to make changes to your configuration which in turn updates your json file.  So, if you are intimidated by making changes to your json file, once you've done your initial set-up the UI does it all for you.  

To view cameras I suggest you first set your Simplisafe3 plugin to 'Persist Accessories' (under advanced settings), otherwise if set-up fails on a device (in my case upon initial set-up 2 of 5 cameras failed installation) the failed camera(s) simply disappear from the Home app.  To see my remaining two cameras in my Home app I ended up clearing cache, resetting my Homebridge set-up, changing persist accessories settings to on, and then repeating set-up.

To view your your SimpliCams or Video Doorbell Pros you need to install ffmpeg.  To do so you will need to first install homebrew:  https://brew.sh/ and then ffmpeg:  https://github.com/fluent-ffmpeg/node-fluent-ffmpeg/wiki/Installing-ffmpeg-on-Mac-OS-X.  Initially I could only see a still shot, not live stream, but fixed that by finding and installing proper codecs.

After you have home brew and ffmpeg installed go back into your Home app, add an accessory, select don't have a code or cannot scan, and each of your SimpliCam and Video Doorbell Pro devices will appear.  For each camera select it, scan or enter the code that is displayed in your Homebridge interface, and (with persist accessories setting 'on') the camera will install.

The integration with HomeKit is so complete that I have disabled my SimpliSafe notifications.  The only thing I cannot do within my Home app is talk to someone at the doorbell (but I do get an alert from Home app that the button was pushed).

This set-up is so cool I wanted to put the steps together for you so you can have an awesome HomeKit integrated SimpliSafe 3 system too, and avoid some of the pitfalls I encountered upon initial installation.

66 Messages

5 years ago

Or at least siri shortcuts. https://www.alarm.com/blog/siri-shortcuts    I am researching alarm.com and vivint now. I feel SS took advantage of us and were deceptive.

66 Messages

5 years ago

Or at least siri shortcuts. https://www.alarm.com/blog/siri-shortcuts    I am researching alarm.com and vivint now. I feel SS took advantage of us and were deceptive.
New to the Community? Get started by reading our Welcome Post.