jsloat1's profile

Wed, Jun 22, 2022 5:58 PM

Base station can not reach sensor 70ft away

We have a mother-in-law unit. The furthest sensor (entry on the door) is about 70 feet from the bast station in the main house. This sensor is basically always disconnected, we get the warning every night when we arm the system.

I've gotten 2 replacements for this sensor, reset everything, moved the base unit, etc. One solution that I'd really like to avoid is buying a 2nd base station & monitoring plan.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas to troubleshoot this? I'm assuming the issue is either radio interference (though I don't get the in-app warning) or the material between the base station and sensor. I'd love for someone to SS to come out and diagnose, but they've said they don't offer this service.

I don't think there's any sort of range extender that would work for an entry sensor, right?

I've been in contact with SS support on and off for months and there has been no progress, hoping the community may have some ideas.

Official Solution

Community Admin

• 

2.9K Messages

Il y a 2 m

@jsloat1 alright, so we have confirmed that it's a physical issue. I mentioned before that the materials of your house can play a big part in impeding the signal; do you have brick or adobe walls, metal siding, or mesh insulation? All of those make up the worst offenders when it comes to physical interference. So short of building a new house, there might not be a solution better than a second whole system.

But I agree that it seems silly when it's really just the one Entry Sensor having trouble. So it's worth still playing around with the positions of both the Base Station and that Entry Sensor just in case you can get a sweet spot.

Alternately, you could position a Motion Sensor so that it's watching the door, while still being closer to the Base Station. The only caveat is that there will be people in the building while your system is armed, you'd want to disable that Motion Sensor in Home Mode, and the door would be unprotected.

4 Messages

@davey_d​ Thanks for all your time.

Not sure about all of the building materials but it's a pretty standard wood and drywall construction AFAIK.

I guess I'll try to pursue further solutions with support but it seems like I may just be out of luck with the system which I can no longer return.

Community Admin

• 

2.9K Messages

Il y a 2 m

Hi @jsloat1 ,

Yes, from what you describe, it's very likely to be physical interference. The range of the sensors should be 800ft+ over open air, but if you have dense material in-between (brick or adobe walls, metal siding, etc), the signal might have trouble coming through.

But to confirm that, have you already tried moving your Base Station to the in-law unit temporarily? If it is indeed the walls, we would expect that one sensor there to start working  properly, and then all the others would stop.

I'm thinking that there might also be a way to mitigate the effect of the interference somewhat. Like perhaps putting the Base Station close to (but not directly in front of) a window on the same side of the house. Or similarly, moving the sensor to a different spot on the door.

4 Messages

Il y a 2 m

Thanks for the reply @davey_d.

Yeah, I have confirmed that moving the base station fixes the failing sensor, while not reaching others. So yeah it basically shifts the problem.

I'm attaching a really crude sketch of the layout. Blue dots are where we have tried putting the bast station (it's currently in the left position) with no change. Green dots are working sensors, red is the failing one.

(edited)