dandydons's profile

Fri, Dec 3, 2021 10:15 AM

Batteries

Any ideas how I know when certain batteries are low.

My motion and glass break tell me but today I went to keypad to do update and it wouldn't as said battery low. Thats my only notification.

Do sirens notify you as well?

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

8 m ago

@dandyDons yes, the SS3 aux siren will notify you when its batteries are low.  Mine did last week.

While its a nice feature, I still keep a spreadsheet listing all of my sensors and components, serial number, when installed, last battery change and next scheduled battery change.  For example, in my experience my keypads last about 8 months, so I put in fresh batteries every 7 months. Same for everything esle, and tweak the schedule as required.  Note not only the type of sensor but also location determines the frequency.   I have basement windows that have not been open in 32 years, so they are set at 4 years, while our kitchen door tht we use every day (heavily) is set at 2 years.

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

364 Messages

8 m ago

Thank you. Good idea re the battery list my friend I will start this now.
Happy holiday to your good self and family from a cold wet and windy Scotland

Advocate

• 

636 Messages

8 m ago

On the advice long ago from @captain11, I too use the spreadsheet method. It is an excellent way to see how long the batteries last.

Speaking of which, I have not had to change any sensor batteries yet. I changed the batteries in the Keypad last month for just the third time since upgrading to SS3 in February 2018. I average 437 days now compared to 318 days with SS2. The previous batteries were good for 477 days, and I utilize the Keypad each day, multiple times per day. I am uncertain if it has to do with firmware updates, but my Keypad battery efficiency has increased after each replacement of batteries.

I need to order some batteries today for all sensors to have once they do eventually die. I do not want to venture out unexpectedly or be without protection due to a lack of preparedness.

140 Messages

8 m ago

I like the spreadsheet idea.... but we just wait to get a "low batter" notice.... however it seems like the base always decides to tell us out of the blue in the middle of the night!!!!