G

Thu, Mar 15, 2018 1:34 AM

Connecting to WIFI

My SS system settings recognizes my WIFI but not the correct password.  I have confirmed the WIFI is working and the password is correct.  My SSID is R303WIFI and my password is 10 digits long, all numbers.  It tells me the password I entered is wrong.  Does anyone know if this is a known issue?

Thanks

Il y a 2 y

Okay, I had the same issue. I don't think it's a router brand or a MAC address. As @dva1950 says, it is most likely the band steering. What is that you say? Most modern wifi routers use a bunch of different channels to broadcast on to ensure they get a good signal. Back in the day, the most common channels were 6 and 7. Now there are about 10 (in the 2.4GHz range). Say your neighbor has a router and they are on channel 6 and so are you! Not a big deal, the routers can figure it out. HOWEVER, to get the best bandwidth, the routers will jump to other channels when they detect low signal quality.

Great right? Yeah, that's what we all want. But, apparently the good engineers at Simplisafe didn't actually try other channels, they left it at was probably the default of 6. Everything works here, why check other channels?

Bottom line is, go into the wifi settings of your router and force it to channel 6 (or maybe 7). 6 worked for me. On my ASUS RC-AC68U it was under Advanced Settings -> Wireless-> Control Channel. I changed it from "Auto" to 6.

Good luck.

1 Message

Il y a 2 y

I too had the "Incorrect Password' issue. I found a solution. For those of you who have the Google mesh network, or similar setup, the problem was the 5GHz vs. 2.4GHz network. These cannot be separated. Google support advised me to activate the guest network, which has a lower priority for the 5GHz side. I did this and connected immediately. Hope this helps someone.

1 Message

Il y a 2 y

Same issue.  Simplsafe need to get off their ass and fix this issue.

2 Messages

Il y a 2 y

Same issue. Simplisafe why have you not fixed this problem? I am sorely tempted to send the system back for refund.

1 Message

Il y a 2 y

Arris router issues not resolved:

Same issue as most with an Arris router. 13 hours later, and Simplisafe told me it's a bug, and they are working on a firmware fix. I can see the issue has been going on for more than 2 years with Arris routers. I wouldn't be so upset if they would have told me during the first of 5 phone calls today. Everyone I spoke to in support was nice. Why isn't this information in their internal knowledge base for their techs to see when someone calls?

I went through every single scenario typed above that would work with my Arris router. None worked.

I'm returning my system. I have 12 other devices in my home that work fine. A second router is an option, but why just to accommodate poor programming? I work in IT leadership. Sorry, but if you were vested in your platform your firmware fix would have been completed by now. A disclaimer needs to posted that the platform will not work with certain routers. It's the right thing to do unless you have a fix (which you don't).

I spoke to some really nice people today. They tried everything to help. This is on your leadership. Don't set your technical teams up to fail. Everyone in IT has a knowledge base. It's our own Google. I would have been ok with the system doesn't work with Arris routers if it was a disclaimer or if I had been told by support on the 1st call this morning.

Community Admin

• 

469 Messages

Il y a 2 y

Hi @jaycorbin,

We're sorry to hear that it took you so long to get the correct information.  There is a known issue with certain models of Arris-branded routers that prevents a successful connection, but the good news is that we're fixing it with our next firmware update.

It will be rolled into a large full-system update, which we do need to test extensively. But keep an eye out for our post when we start rolling out - which should be soon!

SimpliSafe Social Team
SimpliSafe Home Security

4 Messages

Il y a 2 y

After spending almost 7 hours on the phone this weekend with Tech support trying to hook up my new system to my Arris router I am still not hooked up.  Now a day later I see this thread.  After working with 3 very nice tech support people for so long, I wish they had known there is a problem with Simplisafe connecting to the Arris router and I could have saved half of my Weekend.  If Simplisafe knows they have an issue with Arris Routers,  why are the tech support people even trying solve the issue?  There should have been a disclaimer offered so I would have known If I had an Arris router I may have to go purchase a new router as well.  I can't get back the lost time, maybe Simpli safe will step up and warn prospective new customers.

Community Admin

• 

469 Messages

Il y a 2 y

Hi Jweber_1,

We're sorry to hear that you had that experience over the weekend. As we mentioned in our last post, we expect to have this issue resolved in our next firmware update. Since we expect it to be released soon, you may not have to purchase a new router just to get your base station connected to WiFi.

SimpliSafe Social Team
SimpliSafe Home Security

1 Message

When exactly is the next firmware update that is supposed to fix it?  I have been bounced back and forth between SimpliSafe tech support and my isp each pointing the finger at the other.  Are you trying to lose business?  If so that is how you do it.  I hope you also have plans to refund subscription fees for people who went without service due to not being able to connect.  Please inform your tech support of the issue so next time someone calls and tells them they have an Arris modem they don't waste the customers time and their time trying to remove batteries from everything and restarting everything multiple times.  Such a friendly tech too.  What a shame his leadership failed him.

84 Messages

Il y a 2 y

Everyone needs to take a chill pill. The system comes with a cellular card in it. As far as I know, everything will continue to work on cellular except firmware updates. It's more of a problem for simplisafe than for you, since not being able to connect to wifi means they'll have to pay tmobile/verizon for more data usage from your system that would normally get offloaded to your wifi network.

For firmware updates you can briefly connect your system to a cell phone hotspot to complete the firmware update. You'll have to do that anyway when they eventually release the firmware update that fixes this wifi issue, since you won't be able to download it without connecting to wifi first.

The issue with poor internal company communication is more concerning, but unfortunately it's nothing new. Known issues should be communicated to the call center and posted online. Sucks that time was wasted, and I understand that prompting people to return their systems, but not for just the wifi issue alone.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

Il y a 2 y

@alex_124 nice post with great advice. Communication, internal and external, is key.