worthing's profile
Advocate

Advocate

• 

417 Messages

Sun, Aug 15, 2021 5:56 AM

Definitive list of forbidden characters for SSID and password?

@Johnny M (or anyone else at SS who monitors these forums)

Can you all please provide a definitive list of characters that Simplisafe can't process/use correctly for SSID and password fields during Wi-Fi configuration? And specifically note whether each one is forbidden in the base station configuration, camera configuration or both?

For example, it looks like you cannot use a : (colon) in your SSID name or password for camera configuration specifically. I assume this is because the QR code that is generated by the mobile app during the camera install process produces a string that uses a : (colon) for formatting/delimiting fields and two : (colons) next to each other throws it off.

Per https://github.com/zxing/zxing/wiki/Barcode-Contents#wi-fi-network-config-android-ios-11 it looks like there may be other characters that could be problematic in a QR code string but I'm not sure if these restrictions apply to how you all process the configuration string during camera installation.

It would be an immense help for people troubleshooting why they're unable to connect to an existing Wi-Fi network that is otherwise working just fine. Also, there's no reason not to just publish this list as part of your install instructions in order to prevent end user frustration and a phone call to your support line. :)

Captain

• 

4.6K Messages

1年前

@ Worthing  Excellent post.  As far as I can see not in the Help Center and has been asked multiple times in the forums! @Johnny M, this should be added to the hlep center as soon as you reply. Worthing, thank you!

Update:

Here is an article in the Help Center on how (and more importantly) what you can type via the keypad.

https://support.simplisafe.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029765371-How-do-I-set-up-WiFi-

Good place, amongst others and a whole new article, what can't be in the WIFI password.

Advocate

• 

417 Messages

1年前

@Captain11

Thanks for the response but that article doesn't really explicitly say what characters you can or can't use use - it just explains how you would type those characters. Assuming they meant for that article to be a list of what will work for the keypad/base station configuration, I can tell you with 100% certainly in the recent past that a : (colon) in the SSID or password for the camera configuration would 100% fail due to how the string generated by the QR code in the mobile app is processed by the camera to configure wi-fi on the camera.

@Simplisafe

I'd be far more comfortable with a definitive statement such as, "You cannot use the following characters in your SSID or password" and then show us a list. And then make sure that list reflects whether or not it applies to the keypad, the camera, or both. Please be as explicit as possible with your customers as to what the requirements are so there is minimal chance of a problem resulting from a misunderstanding. Put another way, please don't make us guess, assume or infer if it can be helped. In this case you should know exactly what characters will/won't work and be able to provide that list.

Community Admin

• 

2.9K Messages

1年前

Hi folks,

As of right now, for both the cameras (Simplicam and Video Doorbell Pro), and the Base Station: If you can find the character on a US keyboard, it should be okay on an SSID or password.

In the past, we did have trouble with scanning QR codes with certain characters (primarily colon : and semicolon ;) due to the way that the QR's actual underlying code also using those characters. But assuming your camera and SimpliSafe app are properly updated, they shouldn't be having any further trouble.

- Johnny M.
SimpliSafe Home Security

Advocate

• 

417 Messages

@Johnny M,

I have three questions!

1) When was the change made to support : and ; specifically? I know of at least one person in the last few months who had a : in their SSID and while the base station accepted that just fine, the cameras wouldn't connect until they removed the : from the SSID. I also know that previously when I generated a code with an SSID or password that contained either the : or ; I did not see the escape character ( which is \ ) in the decoded QR code. I just generated a new QR code tonight and it looks like there's an escape code in there now.

2) Is a space a valid character for SSID for the camera set up? I've also seen annecdotal evidence suggesting that spaces in the SSID name are also a problem for camera config only. (I know the spacebar is a standard key on a US keyboard but I just want to confirm.)

3) Are you able to discuss details of the string generated by the QR code used for camera configuration in the mobile app? (I can guess what most of the parameters are but I am curious if I am correct.)

Captain

• 

4.6K Messages

1年前

@Johnny M by now you should now the tune to my broken record.  Your post has key, important information and should by now be in the Help Center. If not, it should be within the hour.

To SS mgt: This is not nuclear physics. When managing a call center, I met with mgt and supervisors bi-weekly for the top 10 reasons for live calls and posts in our CRC.  A dedicated resource was then given it with only 1, single purpose for being in our customer support center: Elminate the need for a customer to post or call (if at all possible) by having that information in our Knowledge Database within three (3) business days.  Result: Reduction in inbound volume by 42% and improving over time, increased customer goodwill (Won't provide stat as the time arguing about its accuracy is a waste) and provided valuable insights to customer requirements and wants for improving existing products/serivces or new ones!

SS, try it.

Community Admin

• 

2.9K Messages

1年前

Hi Worthing,

Sadly it's harder for me to track down changes to camera firmware and app versions because those teams release updates way faster. But I know it was a recent change.

Spaces count as a valid character. Though I think those who have had trouble might have had extra-long SSIDs or passwords as well. Unfortunately, there is still a limit to how many characters can fit in a QR code.

I'm not sure what further details you need, thought the QR code really just has info for your SSID and Password, as well as your account info to double-verify that we're attaching the camera to the right one.

- Johnny M.
SimpliSafe Home Security