worthing's profile
Advocate

Advocate

• 

417 Messages

Wed, Aug 25, 2021 2:30 PM

Google Site Search No Longer Works on SS Forums?

Anyone else find that you can't use Google to search the SS forums? I can't find anything to put after the "site:" parameter that will give accurate results to the SS forums. Can anyone provide a complete search string that they can confirm still works today?

Advocate

• 

108 Messages

1年前

@Captain11   I was able to use the Google site search on a different forum with good/expected results.

Captain

• 

4.6K Messages

@hondaman88  I literally was updating my post as you were putting yours up. You are correct, same for me and confirmed by Google support. Awaiting for explanation from Simplisafe.

Captain

• 

4.6K Messages

1年前

@Worthing I tried this  site: Simplisafe.com/forum SS3 motion sensor pets; it did come up with a few, but very few hits. I suspect a bit of tweaking by the SS web dev team with indexing ws done, but my bigger question is why??

@Johnny M, I am requesting a reply to Worthing's post, clear and concise.  With no search tool in the forums it was acceptable using other means like a Google seearch tool.  

Update: @Worthing It appears Google may have changed its site search tool, not SS.  I went to the page I normally go to and found "Google Workspace".  Did Google just take a public tool and now selling it as a corporate tool?  Any IT professionals or SS provide an explanation? Thanks!

Update 2: Signed into my Google One account and chatted with Google support. He suggested I try another site, and I did at our local village site, under departments and entered key word "Police".  Worked perfectly as Google One support predicted.

Okay, Simplisafe, your turn to reply.

Advocate

• 

417 Messages

1年前

@hondaman88 + @captain11

Thanks for the quick replies to help with testing!

@JohnnyM + @SS

Your customers shouldn't have to go to Google to search your forums even when it is working correctly. Can we get a statement from SS on whether or not "upgrade forums from early 2000's technology" is on the roadmap? I'm not asking for a date but I would like to know if this is genuinely on anyone's list or not.

Captain

• 

4.6K Messages

@Worthing  Simplisafe has publicly stated they are working on a new forum area as part of their planned overal Customer Resource Center. (CRC) Of course, that in Simplisafe time could take years.  And as far as saying this forum is early 2000's, you are being too kind. In the past I have posted it reminds me of MS Office, 1997. (Long story why I have such fond memories of that specific edition of Office and the IT project I was leading at the time and the hell it provided.  Its an interesting story, perhaps someday I can share it with you over a few adult drinks).

Now back to SS, awaiting a reply why it appears they have blocked Google site searches on purpose.

82 Messages

1年前

SimpliSafe has had awful forum software forever.   You won't get any response worth anything.

Community Admin

• 

2.9K Messages

1年前

Hi folks,

So sorry about this, but thanks for bringing it to my attention. My team is looking into it - hold tight and we'll get an answer for you soon.

- Johnny M.
SimpliSafe Home Security

Captain

• 

4.6K Messages

1年前

@Johnny M thank you for acknoweledging the thread so late in the day and at least advising you will get back to us. Per Google the tool is still in the public domain, works unless specifically blocked by the website. From what I saw on their site hawking it and other features for business, a likely scenario is that Google itself did some changes that your dev staff was not aware of.

Have a good night.

Community Admin

• 

2.9K Messages

1年前

Thanks for your patience!

Sadly I don't have the most exciting news. There's been a change in how Google crawls our site, and we're currently looking into restoring site functionality. It's going to take us a bit of a time, which I know is not ideal.

But it's because our team is currently preoccupied with more exciting projects - one of which I'll tell you more about next week...

- Johnny M.
SimpliSafe Home Security