S

Fri, Feb 7, 2020 12:25 AM

How are you not bombarded with false advertising lawsuits?

The home page of the website says the motion sensors don't detect pets. In multiple sections of it.

"Detects people, ignores pets
Motion sensors use a precision
human-form detection algorithm."

Are my cats human shaped? When I call customer support asking why the sensors detected my cats, the guy on the phone just goes, cats produce heat. No kidding?

"Pet Friendly
Your dogs and cats under 50 lbs won't trigger the alarm. We've designed the sensor to be less
sensitive to motion close to the ground."

I don't own a tiger. You blatantly say cats WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT TRIGGER THE MOTION SENSORS. But they do. Lies. You peddle lies.

1.2K Messages

3 y ago

If you want help just ask, but it doesn't sound like you do so I'll just say that my cats do not set my motion sensors off. Others will chime in below me to say the same thing. The system does need to be configured properly however.

Advocate

• 

541 Messages

3 y ago

If you mount the sensor upside down and move it up a little higher then you shouldn't have problems but then again cats dont just sit on the floor they climb every freaking thing in the world so really no matter what you do if you have cats that climb all over everything then yes it will catch them and go off. But if it makes you feel better you can put the motion sensor on secret alert and it will only give you a message.

2 Messages

3 y ago

You cannot "configure the system" for motion sensing to ignore pets.  You can only do one of two things.  Mount the sensors upside down at a height that a pet can walk under, or adjust the sensitivity down.  

Neither of these fly in the face of the OP's comments, because the false advertising statements, are just that, false advertising.

Turning the sensors upside down is asinine, and flies in the face of "we sense humans, not pets".  There is NO algorithm that SimpliSafe deploys that knows the difference between heat signatures, and to claim that they do, is a freaking lie.  

We have a 20lb dog, and with the sensor set on LOW, it still sets it off, meaning that unless the sensors are re-mounted UPSIDE DOWN, there is no possible way to ever go into AWAY mode, if the dog is not in a kennel.  The fact that everyone that knows anything about SimpliSafe knows this as an issue, if you want to break into someone's house, just crawl on the floor...

SimpliSafe is flatly guilty of false advertising in this respect, and those claims should be removed from their website and product literature.

Advocate

• 

636 Messages

3 y ago

On February 7th, 2020 rroghers says:
if you want to break into someone's house, just crawl on the floor...

A layered approach is the best approach. You can crawl under one of my Motion Sensors - that you see, but I have others, elsewhere, that you cannot. I also have Entry Sensors on doors and places that, when opened, will trigger my alarm (not to mention cameras - hardwired to DVR 24/7 and backed up).

I am not saying that you cannot burglarize my residence, but it is much more complicated once you begin adding sensors/components in large numbers in different rooms. If one does not get you, another one will.

2 Messages

And I agree with the layered security approach, but that does not mean the OP doesn't have a VERY valid point.  SS is guilty of false advertising, period, and if you bought a SS system with the belief in "we can tell pets from humans", like I and thousands of others did, and that is not the case, that is a REAL big problem.

326 Messages

3 y ago

I have no pets at the moment, but will eventually be getting a cat or two.  In the six years that I had ADT, complete with three motion sensors, the cats didn't set it off once.  I hope I'll be able to say the same thing about SS.  If not, I hope that there's a good secondhand market for SS components because at that time, I'll be selling off all of my motion sensors (I have five right now).

1.2K Messages

3 y ago

@rroghers
I was going to leave this thread alone since the OP obviously didn't want help and just wanted to rant like everybody else in this forum, but since it's turned into a discussion let me explain to you what works because I've been doing this for 5 years now and it works flawlessly.  I do not have false alarms.  In my case SS has delivered on their promise, but it took some work from me to figure it out.  After all, this is a DIY system right?

Forget the upside down thing.  Its ridiculous.  It might work for dogs that don't jump on things, but not for cats.  Take a look at how the professionals install motion sensors in office buildings and copy them.  They install them right side up at the top of the wall, near the ceiling.  My ceilings are 10' tall which helps.  You need to make sure these motion sensors are in places cats cant get anywhere near.  If they can approach it the sensor sees a giant heat signature and bam, siren time.  Now place your sensors on low and put it in test mode.  Your coverage will be reduced, but you fix this with multiple sensors per room.  Don't go cheap on home security.  3 cats have not been able to set this off over the years and our current one is young and climbs EVERYTHING.

And @Shiherlis has the right idea.  You need layers.  I hope nobody is relying only on motions.  They should be your last line of defense.  They need to defeat entry sensors on every door and window and glass breaks in every room.  Only if they get beyond those should motions even matter.

So instead of ranting, try some things.  Figure out what works in your own home.  I promise you all it can be done, but you bought a Do It Yourself alarm system.  So do it yourself or stop complaining and pay someone to do it for you.  I get so tired of listening to all the whining about SS when people should be whining about their own inability to sort out a problem and solve it.