P

Wed, Sep 5, 2018 2:04 AM

Keypad lights up for no apparent reason

I thought the keypad only lights up if you touch it.

I don't mean while setting or disabling the alarm.

I mean that on occasion when I look at the keypad from a distance in another room, I see that it is back-lit.  As if I had been standing next to it and touched it in order to light it.

After a while it goes out.

Why?

Ghosts?

57 Messages

Il y a 4 y

Hey Lee, what does the power saving mode do?

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

Il y a 4 y

It turns off the automatic lighting of the keypad.  Instead of just touching it or getting your hand near it, you have to press any key to get it to light up.

1 Message

Il y a 4 y

Happens constantly, pretty sure it's an over-sensitivity to ambient motion in the room. Hoping the energy savings mode will help because it's a giant waste of battery life. Here's hoping Simplisafe considers an update to modify sensitivity for this, assuming it's not a limitation of the hardware.

1 Message

Il y a 4 y

Happens almost every night. Keypad is not near a vent. Very annoying.

Ironically when I physically stand in front of it I have to wave my hand for a few seconds to get it to wake up. So it's not that it's super sensitive.

Something is glitchy with the hardware.

12 Messages

Il y a 4 y

Came here to post this very thing. My SS3 keypad lights up randomly, and it's over 30 feet away when I glance over and see it lit up. Very odd.

SimpliSafe team, any other comments on this?

88 Messages

Il y a 4 y

3 keypads here and I have not seen this happen

12 Messages

Il y a 4 y

Have had this happen, but only to one keypad (I have two). I've seen this happen to my keypad that is in the path of a window. I shut the window, as I noticed it the more I paid attention to it, and the keypad didn't see it light up at all. So, I assume when there is a good breeze coming in, it is causing the keypad to light up.

1 Message

Il y a 4 y

Yup.  My SS3 keypad just lights up for no reason.  It's not near a vent and is securely mounted to an inside wall with no moisture.  Just sitting in the couch watching TV and it will light up for no reason.  Nobody is near it, no temperature changes.  Happens about every other night.

4 Messages

Same. I've activated energy savings mode as a workaround. I am away from this home for 4 or 5 months a year and I can't afford to have the battery draining itself at an accelerated rate causing the keypad to die. My home watch person just isn't going to be able to deal with that. Worst case it could die and the home watch person could stop by and be unable to deactivate the system, causing a false alarm. This smells like a firmware issue to me (or worse, a hardware defect).

4 Messages

Il y a 4 y

I notice the same behavior in my SS3 keypad.  Hope SS can fix it with a firmware update, or at least document what causes it and how to make it stop.  Mine is on a post between the living room and kitchen.  Sometimes, I'll happen to glance up and see it illuminated.

32 Messages

Il y a 4 y

Energy saver did not help keep my bedroom keypad from randomly lighting up frequently. Which tells me the problem has nothing to do with the proximity/touch to light feature. It's very annoying, as it is so bright that it wakes us.  Everything worked fine until recently.

Is Simplisafe doing anything to resolve this?

1 Message

Il y a 4 y

I had this happen trying two different keypads on my bedroom wall.  I eventually placed the keypad on a different wall (not as convenient) in the bedroom and it solved the issue.  I'm writing my experience off as interference within the wall.  The current location has no obvious electrical wiring behind it.  My first location had multiple light switches and wiring from a disconnected ADT system.

1 Message

Il y a 4 y

New system for Christmas, now on a replacement keypad after support said my original keypad shouldn't be draining batteries every 2 weeks. wish there was a model that had an ac adapter, plus a way to turn off motion because that was still kicking on, even with battery saver on. now my keypad, with a 2nd set of batteries, wont turn on. how can I rely on security if the keypad won't let my landlord enter and disable system? I'm not going to buy him a keyfob.

1 Message

Il y a 4 y

My keypad started cycling on and off at night after I had a new Carrier thermostat install 12 feet down the hallway.  The Carrier Cor thermostat has a built in motion sensor that lights up when motion is detected.  I moved the keypad and the problem went away.

2 Messages

Il y a 3 y

SimpliSafe: Can you please respond with an answer?  Does your team even read these or care?

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

Il y a 3 y

They don't always respond on here, and usually not for individual problems.

The best way to get an answer is to call them.