W

10 Messages

Sun, Jul 19, 2020 3:05 AM

keypad not responding

my keypad is not responding. therefore I am not protected. I cannot reach anyone at SS. this is dangerous!!

I found a post that describes the same problem. reply was "contact SS". well, how will that help if there is no one to answer the call?

10 Messages

2 y ago

10 Messages

2 y ago

after waiting on hold for 1+ hr, called monitoring ctr. their suggestion is to "go online to look for tips". Is this for real? this is how a security service operates??

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

2 y ago

Did you call Simplisafe, or did you call COPS monitoring?  The latter is unable to help with technical support.

Yes, SS's phone lines are messed up, please keep trying.

You can try changing the batteries.
If the batteries are new and fresh, you can try rebooting the base station to see if that fixes the issue.
If neither works, I'm afraid you'll still have to call SS to either troubleshoot, or request a new one sent to you (request them to send it overnight shipping, since, if you only have one keypad, you'd be without your system, unless you have a keyfob or the phone app to arm and disarm).  Keep after them on shipping because they sometimes screw it up and don't get it shipped when they say they will.

10 Messages

Sent messages to SS, but there has been no response. I don't have hours to spend on the phone so I am thinking we'll probably drop. At my last house I had ADT for 10 years with not a single need for a service call, yet here I have had 3 calls to SS and it's not even 1 year.

4 Messages

2 y ago

Same experience here. Keypad got irresponsive, while being reported as OK by base unit. The only way to get the keypad back to life is to reboot it by temporarily removing one cell out of four. Happened for the 3rd time in less than 3 weeks. Renders the whole system totally useless, as you can't disarm when getting back home.

I have already reported the issue to the company via email, got canned response suggesting I have bad batteries. After I responded with a question as to how the keypad keeps working on supposedly bad batteries after rebooting they decided to keep silence. This makes me believe the company is well aware of the issue.

Requesting a return with a full refund now.

Community Admin

• 

3.2K Messages

2 y ago

alex_3 and whn,

both of your issues sound like interference preventing the Keypad from communicating properly. We've requested calls for each of you from our Support team to get started with troubleshooting.

Johnny M.
SimpliSafe Home Security

4 Messages

2 y ago

Johnny, there is an issue with the Keypad - interference or not, it should not get bricked until power reset.

Anyway, could you please elaborate on the "we've requested calls for you from our support team"? Does it mean somebody is to call me or at least to respond to any of two tickets I filed this month? Or does it mean you expect any action on my side?

Thank you,
--Alex

10 Messages

2 y ago

I have heard nothing as well. Also sent emails and tried to call, with predictable result. (ie none).

Magically, the keypad came to life. However, this does not fill me with confidence since I don't know why it went dead and now I don't know why it's working. Now each time I walk by, I press the front panel just to check it's still working.

4 Messages

2 y ago

They keep telling me (this time through facebook messenger) about some request they made for somebody to contact me. Meanwhile I have several hundred dollar worth of equipment mounted all across my house and not so cheap subscription, which I can't use. And without RMA or a fix I can't place an order for another company's package. I really wish I made more thorough research before ordering, as nonexistent customer service workflow (I do not have any ticket numbers for the requests I sent) is very well documented all over their forum and social networks...

4 Messages

2 y ago

Got a call from technical support about 6 weeks ago. They assured me they are well aware of the issue and this is essentially my fault - I have way too many BT/WIFI devices on my desk, should keep both base station and keypad away from the desk.

I asked them if the fact that every other BT/WIFI device can perfectly survive in this environment without getting bricked until power reset bothers them, but my question was left unanswered.

I did what they asked, moved both keypad and base station downstairs, although I would really prefer to keep the base station closer to my cabinet and bedroom. And they were perfectly right, now instead of getting bricked twice a day the keypad gets bricked once a week.

They also suggested to use iphone to turn monitoring on/off.

To cut it short: due to an inherent design flaw the keypad is vulnerable to the regular household/office radio interference and might get locked so that you won't be able to unarm the system using keypad. The official mitigation is 1) create a "safe room" for the keypad, 2) use smartphone to arm/disarm the system. From the responses I got it does not look like the 3) fix the keypad is considered as a valid option.

1 Message

2 y ago

Keypad is not working and making a clicking sound.  I have changed the batteries multiple times and it still does not turn on.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

2 y ago

^ try taking out only ONE of the batteries, then wait for about 5 minutes or so, then re-insert the battery.  If it doesn't turn on, call SS for troubleshooting or for a replacement keypad.

As for the clicking sound, that's not normal, and it could be you need a new keypad, but call SS to determine for certain.

1 Message

2 y ago

Same issue here. They also told me it was a battery issue. They sent me a new keypad. It last thru one use and then the "out of range" message. I've not any issues with my system until the latest firmware update. :(

1 Message

2 y ago

Wow!  I'm having the same problem.  They are sending me a new keypad.  Hate to think that won't work either!  Heading to FL next week.... ugh!   Guess I will rely on my Ring camera for now.

2 Messages

2 y ago

I have the same problem.  Keypad kept tripping the panic button and would not stop.  This happened over three days.  It just kept tripping.  I called support each time and they finally said they were going to send me a new keypad.  Got the new keypad 5 days later and the "supposedly" new one says "keypad not connected"  Called support again, went through some troubleshoot and said let me send you a new one.  That one is defective too.  Really???  Ugh.  If this one does not work, I will be looking elsewhere.

Advocate

• 

638 Messages

2 y ago

Again, I am very interested in the date of manufacture for those [and the number appears to be at a high percentage] who are experiencing failed components. Because to me (and I may be wrong), there seems to be a correlation. I am fortunate that with my former system (SS2), I had only two significant issues: warranty replacement resolved, and none with SS3. However, I purchased my SS3 system in March 2018. I have noticed those with the most problems bought alarms during a timeframe after that. So, did SimpliSafe go with cheaper manufacturing methods, or were quality-control tests lessened?

I would love to add a few more components this holiday season but am hesitant to do so with all of the issues. And I am reading them on places other than the forum; I have noticed the recent reviews on third party sites making mention of faulty or failing add-ons. SimpliSafe is excellent about replacing products under warranty, but if it is indeed a manufacturing problem, the company will most likely ship electronics with the same issues.