‎Keypads drain batteries in 1 week | SimpliSafe Support Home

D

Friday, June 5th, 2020 5:51 AM

Keypads drain batteries in 1 week

Both of my keypads drain their batteries in about a week. Super frustrating for a new system and I just didn't use the keypads for a little bit.

Does anyone else have this problem? I've noticed that the keypads continuously "wake" and go back to sleep with no noticeable triggers.

Looks like battery saver mode is not an option. Does anyone have suggestions?

I have already contacted simplisafe and they said that they will send new keypads, but haven't heard or received anything in about 2 weeks.

Official Response

Community Admin

• 

5.4K Messages

2 years ago

@dsdraman rapid drain of the Keypad can be caused by severe interference, which can force the unit to work harder than it should to maintain the signal to the Base Station.

Interference can be caused by dense physical objects, like brick/adobe walls literally getting in the way of the signal. Or it could be caused by other wireless signals drowning out your SimpliSafe; since the components use a low frequency, you're looking for simpler wireless devices like a remote controlled garage door opener, wireless weather station, etc. Troubleshooting should have involved identifying potential causes of interference, then taking steps, like moving the Base Station or Keypad, to lessen their effect.

Or the Keypad itself might just need to be replaced. Our Support team should have gone through these options with you. I am of course relaying your experience to our Support team leadership, so we can further improve. But please give us a call again at 800-548-9508 and we can continue the troubleshooting process with you.

(edited)

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

Why is battery saver mode not an option?  That is supposed to turn off the auto-wake feature, which should put a lot less strain on the batteries.

4 Messages

4 years ago

It literally is not an option that I can toggle on the keypads, online, or in the app. If it does exist somewhere, I would love to turn it on, but I cannot find it anywhere.

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

Are we talking SS3?  Because I was able to set my keypads to power saving mode.  If you have SS2, then yes, it is not an option, but you don't really need it because only the display lights up, and only when you press a key.

4 Messages

Whichever the newer one is since I only bought the system about a month ago - so yes SS3. Mine does not give me the option to put the keypads in power saving mode. There is only a toggle for panic alarm.

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

On mine, I press "menu", enter my MASTER PIN and get a menu.  scroll up to "devices" and press "open" (right edge).  scroll down to the keypad you want to change and press the right edge to select.  scroll down two to "Power Savings"   Press "on" (right edge)

1 Message

sevensiamesecats thank you!!

1 Message

@sevensiamesecats​ 

thank you!

3 Messages

@sevensiamesecats​ Thank you SOOOOOOOO much! I hope this fixes the draining issue. I got around 2 months out of Lithium batteries.

4 Messages

4 years ago

YOU ARE A LIFESAVER!!! Thank you so much. I promise I am not an idiot haha. I tried so hard to figure this out and I swear those settings weren't there for me before the last update. Weird. Anyways, thanks for making my day!

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

Da nada, as we say here in the Southwest.  FWIW I have not received an update (not connected; just can't bear to tear down my working SS2 system) since I got the unit nearly a year ago, and these settings were there for me back then as ell as now..

1 Message

Gracias, gracias, gracias. We have gone through 4 batteries about every month to a month and a half. I did not know about the power saver, not sure why the keypad is using so much power as it is, but I hope this works! :)

Captain

• 

5.9K Messages

bfgerberding, I don't think the battery saving mode is going to that much good for you. I would say you have a defective keypad; I suggest you contact SS support and get it replaced under warranty. Should last about 8-10 months.

2 Messages

2 years ago

I have the same issue.  I have asked SimpliSafe about this a couple times and they are clueless.  I don't have any clue how to fix it. My keypad batteries were drained in about 4 weeks. I guess we keep pestering SimpliSafe until we find the one person who might be able to fix this, if that is possible.  Fortunately, the system will still arm and disarm using the remote.

2 Messages

2 years ago

I'm not sure if the power saving mode will fix this or not but I'm going to try it now that I know where it is.  I will add my thanks from this end as well.

2 Messages

2 years ago

My daughters third keypad and second tower replacement and still only get a few days before the battery dies in the keypad. We will try the power save mode. Otherwise, back to calling support.

I've had mine for a number of years and have never changed the batteries...

1 Message

2 years ago

I'm having the same issue and wondered if those who had it months ago did power save and worked out for them. I'm so over buying batteries!!

Community Admin

• 

5.4K Messages

@mimigee​ "Power Saver" enables the proximity sensor. So the Keypad's backlight should only be on when there's a person in the room.

But the way that sensor works is similar to the Motion Sensor component, where it picks up sources of heat moving around in the room. If you're seeing the Keypad lit up too often, there might be a heat source in the environment that keeps triggering it.

Turning off Power Saver will disable that proximity sensor, so that the light will only turn on when you press a button, but will turn off after a set amount of time. So it is possible that it will save battery life by ignoring whatever that trigger was, entirely.

1 Message

2 years ago

I’m in same boat. Batteries drain every week. New keypad is coming from them. There is a power saver mode through website not the app if I remember correctly. 

1 Message

2 years ago

I'm having the same issue as well. It is very frustrating. 

New to the Community? Get started by reading our Welcome Post.