G

Tue, Apr 14, 2020 2:27 PM

Monitoring Center staffing during the pandemic

Are the monitoring centers staffed?  My alarm went off this morning but we were never called and no police were dispatched.  Luckily it was an accidental alarm but still curious.

I did submit a customer support email (I'm assuming calling would be a waste of time, most other call centers are either understaffed or swamped).  Has anyone else had any trouble?

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

2 y ago

If you cancelled your alarm within 30 seconds, monitoring will often NOT call you and will consider it a false alarm.  If it was over 30 seconds or, over several minutes before you cancelled your alarm, and monitoring didn't call you, then there's a problem.

2 Messages

2 y ago

That is what happened to us two days ago. We accidentally set off the alarm when returning home and nobody contacted us which is a much different experience than we've had in the past. We've had simplisafe service for several years now and have set off the alarm accidentally two other times and each time we were contacted immediately even though we cancel the alarm immediately. Service seems to be lacking nowadays.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

2 y ago

If you didn't get a call from monitoring after an alarm event (provided you waited past 30 seconds or more to cancel your alarm), then make sure and check your connection (for SS2, check your cellular connection, for SS3, check your wifi and/or cellular connection) - then do a user-initiated test on a sensor or two, you should receive a call from monitoring.  If not, call SS for assistance to make sure your system is operating properly.

11 Messages

2 y ago

Well currently the monitoring center is actually firing (not laid off, fired) employees instead of increasing staffing due to the virus, but yes other than that situation happening currently colt master is correct

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

2 y ago

It would seem odd to fire employees "due to the virus" when the business is still open and still getting paid.

Upon what to you  base the claim that they would do this odd thing?

11 Messages

2 y ago

I base it off of multiple sources inside the company, some currently working and a few who have personally been victims of this wave of firing, all model employees

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

2 y ago

If they were "model employees", wouldn't they have a good "wrongful termination" case?

11 Messages

2 y ago

You are absolutely correct about that, they do

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

2 y ago

So is that an internal problem and not related to the pandemic/downsizing?

11 Messages

2 y ago

It is somewhat  in regards to the pandemic I believe, I know they were looking to cut down on employees just before it happened and the virus just sped it up, so I would say it's an internal and virus related

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

2 y ago

Why would they want to cut down on employees when their workload is increasing (more systems sold)?  Unless they have added automation to reduce the human workload.

Although I suppose that with more people  at home, the systems are used less.  Still, eventually the workload will increase again, and if fired, the trained people probably won't come back; a furlough would seem to be a better solution.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

2 y ago

^ My thoughts, exactly.  Doesn't make much sense.

11 Messages

2 y ago

Actually their workload has decreased extremely within the last 6 months, do to alarm companies pulling out of contracts for customer service issues, security breaches, no compromise etc so actually for the starting about 6 months ago they've been very slow and the virus has made it worse but even if the workload increases again they have fired almost all the higher level employees to the point where there is almost nobody to train the new employees, I wouldn't be surprised if simplisafe switched to a new monitoring company shortly which would be the best option at this point

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

2 y ago

If SS were to switch, I hope they go to a company at least as good as C.O.P.S. (or as they used to be).  It would suck if they did like they did with the no-name adhesive strips they dumped 3M for.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

2 y ago

Yep, one of the highest customer service aspects is COPS monitoring, in my opinion, they've been exemplary - who else could do better?