S

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 5:44 AM

My SS System was Jammed

I was awaken this morning by my base station saying "Wireless Interference Detected' and then a minute later saying "Wireless Interference Resolved'. This kept happening over and over for about a half hour. I unplugged the base station and removed a battery as I was instructed to do this in the past by SS support to reboot the base station. I put the battery back in and relocated the base station to a different location and plugged it back on.

Later in the day I was alerted that one of my water sensors was not responding. I moved it to the base station and pushed the button on top, nothing. I thought maybe the battery had died so I replaced the battery and again pushed the button on top, nothing. So, I figured the water sensor went bad. I got a spare, opened the SS app, removed the bad sensor and added the new one. I pushed the button on top so the system would discover it, nothing.

I call SS support, they tell me that after looking on their end that my system had been jammed. They said this was done by either someone driving by jamming systems, a HAM radio operating on the same frequency that the base station uses to communicate with the various sensors, a car remote start operating on the same frequency, a wireless medical device operating on the same frequency or something else. They said this happening was rare and that they have not seen it happen often, but it does happen. I remember reading something from their CEO explaining that it was almost impossible to jam the SS system.

SS support had me unplug the base station, remove a battery and then unplug the modem, wait a few minutes and then reverse the procedure to reboot the base station and the modem. They also reset the system on their end because when a jam is detected it seems to lock up the system and your account. He again told me this was very rare.

They are sending me a new base station along with a return shipping label so they can get the old base station back for analysis.

So, is someone driving around jamming SS alarm systems to later break into homes or was this just a fluke that happened twice in one day or is it equipment failure??????

The Wireless Interference Detected message means that your SimpliSafe system has detected a pattern of wireless signals that can interfere with your sensors' signals. For troubleshooting, please visit our Help Center article here. And to learn more about how SimpliSafe protects your system digital threads, read here.

Community Admin

• 

469 Messages

Il y a 2 y

Hi @Signalguys,

It sounds like our Support Team made the right call by sending out a replacement base station. While wireless signals can be jammed, it's not something that can be jammed at one point and will stay jammed. In addition, it is nearly impossible to jam our SimpliSafe system without the Jam detection feature kicking in to alert you.

SimpliSafe Social Team
SimpliSafe Home Security

57 Messages

Oddly enough, your support team member was not overly concerned and initially was not going to send me a replacement base station and have me send this one in. It wasn't until I asked how often this kind of thing happened and the tech said "very rarely'. I then said I was surprised that if it was so rare and there didn't seem to be a valid reason for it that SS might want this base station in their lab to see if there was something going on with it. At that time I was put on hold for an extended period of time and when the tech came back on he said "yes, they want you to send it to us for evaluation and we will send you out a replacement'.

1.3K Messages

Il y a 2 y

I'll play the odds and say fluke.

57 Messages

A fluke multiple times a day? Hey, maybe it's the Russians???!!!

1.3K Messages

Il y a 2 y

Yup. I find it way more plausible it's a fluke or some other non-nefarious situation than someone intentionally trying to defeat your system.

I could continue on with why I think that but it doesn't really matter. You're concerned about it and nothing I say can restore your confidence. You have to come to that confidence of your own free will.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 2 y

It's happened to others, on multiple occasions, despite those folks troubleshooting their homes to the hilt, SS never quite has a consistent answer.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 2 y

@Team S,

You said:   In addition, it is nearly impossible to jam our SimpliSafe system without the Jam detection feature kicking in to alert you.

It's been asked of SS countless times before, what exactly is this "jam detection feature" that kicks in to alert one to a jamming incident?  If it's only the base station announcing "wireless interference detected" to the user, since SS claims that can mean half a dozen things locally inside the home (or out of), what is it exactly that differentiates a true jamming event vs some harmless wireless interference from some gadget in the home so the user knows it's not a true jamming event?

Can SS for once, explain this?

1.3K Messages

Il y a 2 y

Can't with any degree of confidence.

I don't believe the system is sophisticated enough to identify a nefarious attempt at jamming vs. some sort of unintentional albeit interfering signal. That's why they gave multiple examples and the wide open "or something else".

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 2 y

^  I know, but they've hinted multiple times that there is (and the downplaying is getting old).  I've asked as many times, what exactly it is, otherwise, they're just blowing hot air out their mouths.

1.3K Messages

On October 27th, 2020 coltmaster1 says:
.. they're just blowing hot air out their mouths.

My money is on something a lot closer to that than some sort of intelligent friend/foe detection algorithm. Interference detected over some period of time synonymous with jamming, nor more sophisticated than that. E.g. the interference is jamming your system (but we can't really tell what that interference is or whether it's nefarious or inadvertent albeit troublesome).

Lest anyone think I hate SS, I don't. I'm satisfied with both my SS2 systems. I understand what they are and what they are not.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 2 y

Well, I guess my toaster is a jamming event.  (yes, seriously, got the infamous 'wireless interference detected' alert from base station one day when I plugged in the toaster about 3 feet away.).  I know what you're saying, whoaru99, but they could build a heck of a lot more confidence if they'd just be transparent about it.

57 Messages

Il y a 2 y

I received an email today from SS saying that the replacement base station they were going to send me right away due to these rare "wireless interference' issues I had on October 21 finally shipped today, October 30. So much for shipping it "right away'. SMH Welcome to SimpliSafe. We're here to help.

Update 11/1/20
The email said the package was shipped on Friday but according to FedEx Tracking, only the label information was sent to FedEx which only means a pick up was scheduled. The item still has not left SS.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 2 y

^ you should know by now, that's par for the course (no, I'm not excusing it, they've had shipping fiascos for a few years now, not much improvement).  If it hasn't shipped by Monday morning, you could call again and ask them to expedite it (don't hold your breath), but history shows that even if you asked, they'd put a new tracking number on it, and it would sit in the warehouse with only the label created, for another 7 business days, lol.

Do you still have your current base station, or are you without?  If without, I'd call them up and demand free monitoring at least.

57 Messages

Il y a 2 y

Finally got the replacement base station. Called customer support and it took an hour for the agent to get it working. Putting me on hold multiple times then coming back and reading what whomever she was typing with sent her rather than just escalating the call DIRECTLY to whomever she was typing with, I requested this but nope. Agent thought she had it all working and it was clear she was trying to clear the call right away but I insisted on staying on the call to test the system. Good thing I did because it was not working. Each time it did not work she would put me on hold. One issue was because she did not fully complete all the steps before telling me it was good to go and another issue where she did not tell me what was done. She kept telling me it could take up to 30 minutes before the system would connect and be fully up and running. SS PLEASE train your customer service agents better or have them escalate the call if they don't know what to do or if there are issues that come up rather than make the call drag on. All I can do is hope everything was done correctly in the end and it will work when it is needed. After this call I'm just not feeling warm, fuzzy and protected. Also, I did not receive the return UPS label I was told would be sent with the replacement base station so I could return the old one.

57 Messages

Il y a 2 y

I don't know how SS expects their customers to put up with all this and stay customers. I have had their system for 8 years 10/31/12. Time to start looking at other systems.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 2 y

^ Did it connect after about 30 minutes? (that's the last step after the "activation" step), you will know it's ready when you put it into test mode, or, check your wifi status via the keypad, then put it into test mode and test your sensors.  Might be a good idea to double-check your devices from your online account dashboard to make sure they're all there and no warnings on that page.

I can sort of understand if reps are working from home, they might not be able to efficiently go back and forth with a supervisor, etc, but I don't see why they couldn't request a supervisor to call you/set up a time to do so. (and yes, so many problems, so little time, lol)

57 Messages

I checked the system and it was all working and made sure it looked good on the app before I hung up with the agent. She wanted to clear the call but I stayed on until I was happy.

BUT........

Went to arm my system tonight and all three of my keypads are saying they cannot communicate with the base station. No warning and no alert that communication had stopped other than what it says on the keypad.,Sooooo another call to SS support. The agent said this sometimes happens with keypads. He had me remove a battery from each keypad, wait a few seconds and reinstall. Keypads come online. No explanation other than that this sometimes happens. Really SimpliSafe? Makes me and my family feel well protected when things just stop communicating without any reason or explanation. How do I know one of my important sensors will not just stop communicating while I'm sleeping or away??? SMH

57 Messages

Il y a 2 y

No, you are never allowed to talk with a supervisor if you are with an agent, I have been told they do not speak to customers, only to the agents. I have had agents take my name and number to have a supervisor or manager call me but nobody does. There's that great SS customer service again!!!!

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 2 y

I know there have been several users complain the keypads eat up batteries really fast, in which case, nearly all had to be replaced with new keypads.  In that event, though, the base station should announce "keypad batteries low" (it only announces once, that I know of, so you might miss it if you're not around to hear it).  And if the keypad is offline, not working, there might be an alert message on your devices page from your online account.

If it happens again, you could try moving the base station closer (more centralized) to the keypads to avoid the keypad not responding.  Or put in fresh batteries, and if it eats up the batteries too quickly, get the keypads replaced.

Yep, they stopped having supervisors talk with customers, this spring.  Maybe it's because they're working from home too, who knows, but it sucks when the reps can't help the customers and defer them higher up.

57 Messages

coltmaster1

No chance all three of my keypads would have batteries fail. These batteries are new and high quality.

The base station is located centrally to all my devices, including the keypads.

I feel that some of the agents have no idea about the SS system. Nothing against the agents, not their fault, this is due to a lack of in depth training by SS. If something is not in the agent's notebook they don't know what to do. The delays and being placed on extended and/or multiple holds is because they have to message the supervisor for next step instructions. Nobody can know everything but once it gets to a certain level then the call needs to be transferred, however this is not done.