S

Thu, Oct 22, 2020 5:44 AM

My SS System was Jammed

I was awaken this morning by my base station saying "Wireless Interference Detected' and then a minute later saying "Wireless Interference Resolved'. This kept happening over and over for about a half hour. I unplugged the base station and removed a battery as I was instructed to do this in the past by SS support to reboot the base station. I put the battery back in and relocated the base station to a different location and plugged it back on.

Later in the day I was alerted that one of my water sensors was not responding. I moved it to the base station and pushed the button on top, nothing. I thought maybe the battery had died so I replaced the battery and again pushed the button on top, nothing. So, I figured the water sensor went bad. I got a spare, opened the SS app, removed the bad sensor and added the new one. I pushed the button on top so the system would discover it, nothing.

I call SS support, they tell me that after looking on their end that my system had been jammed. They said this was done by either someone driving by jamming systems, a HAM radio operating on the same frequency that the base station uses to communicate with the various sensors, a car remote start operating on the same frequency, a wireless medical device operating on the same frequency or something else. They said this happening was rare and that they have not seen it happen often, but it does happen. I remember reading something from their CEO explaining that it was almost impossible to jam the SS system.

SS support had me unplug the base station, remove a battery and then unplug the modem, wait a few minutes and then reverse the procedure to reboot the base station and the modem. They also reset the system on their end because when a jam is detected it seems to lock up the system and your account. He again told me this was very rare.

They are sending me a new base station along with a return shipping label so they can get the old base station back for analysis.

So, is someone driving around jamming SS alarm systems to later break into homes or was this just a fluke that happened twice in one day or is it equipment failure??????

The Wireless Interference Detected message means that your SimpliSafe system has detected a pattern of wireless signals that can interfere with your sensors' signals. For troubleshooting, please visit our Help Center article here. And to learn more about how SimpliSafe protects your system digital threads, read here.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

2 y ago

I can't explain why all three keypads were 'dead', and especially if you didn't receive any base station announcements, or from your device page on your online account, any warnings on that page.

And not to defend SS, but the rep was sort of right in saying "it happens sometimes".  There are several reports throughout the forum of wonky keypads going dead, or batteries dead far too soon, and even after an OTA firmware update, they can get bricked (happened to me) - so, users here on the forum have indeed, figured out that if one takes out at least 1 battery from the keypad(s), waits for several minutes, and then reinserts the battery, the keypads seem to come to life again - a few people also tried it by taking out THREE batteries, leaving the 4th one in, waiting several minutes, then putting the 4th battery in, and the keypads magically worked.  I can say that a firmware update, however, might take up to half an hour to come back to life (with the batteries out that long, then reinsert them), as that's how long it took for mine after an update.

57 Messages

If the keypads can stop working for no reason and without any kind of warning how do we know if a sensor stops working for no reason and without any notice? This system has flaws that may come up without the user knowing about it. We rely on these products to protect our homes, or property and our lives. When this kind of stuff happens I lose more of my confidence in SS.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

2 y ago

If you have the interactive monitoring plan with text or push alerts, you'll get "sensor not responding" as a phone alert, and if I recall, you'll see a red text warning message on your device page on your online account for the sensor that is not responding.  Most of the time, all this takes is re-seating the battery in the sensor (or replacing it with a new one), just be sure to test it once you do that.  If the problem continues, there could be interference, too much distance between the sensor and base, or a bad sensor that needs to be replaced.

As for the keypad (SS3), the only alert I can recall it capable of doing is "keypad-batteries low" - which I think shows that error on the keypad display, and the base station will announce it (but only once, as far as I know).  It will do other common alerts such as 'keypad out of range' etc, and those alerts will be announced by the base station.  If it's dead, however, best thing to do is 1)  try taking out a battery and waiting several minutes, or 2) do that as well reboot the base station, or 3) call SS for troubleshooting.

I'm not downplaying the situation, just saying what users have tried and what seems to work.  SS never gives complete answers, or downplays a ton of things, sometimes they never fix something at all, or take their sweet time in doing so - I have no idea why the keypads are as wonky as they are sometimes.  That said, your other sensors are more reliable with alert warnings, if you have the interactive plan/alerts set up.

And yes, you're not the only one losing confidence in SS - there are tons of complaints, lots of things not getting fixed, lots of things not even being addressed by SS (and if they are, they'll never tell you unless there's 50 posts in one thread in one day of some issue).

57 Messages

2 y ago

You continually miss the point that these devices can, and have been, failing without any warning. I should not have mess with unplugging things, restarting apps and/or screwing around with removing batteries.

If I'm sleeping or not home I want to KNOW my system is working to protect my property and my family and not have to wonder if everything is working correctly.

You're making excuses for SS.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

2 y ago

Actually, you could ask any forum regular here and they'll tell you, Colt (me), would be the LAST person to make excuses, I've had plenty of issues that I'm not afraid to call SS out on and I've done just that - many, many times.

That said, it's not that I don't understand the issue, it won't be the first, and it won't be the last.  NONE of the sensors are 100% fault-free, absolutely none of them.  This forum has countless of posts and complaints about every single sensor, keypad, base, keyfob et al, as well as hardware and software issues.  But, how can we forum members help you (or ourselves), other than to say what we've learned from other users, or to contact SS.  We're all in the same boat!  And I think many people have a false hope that SS will shape up and deliver (to explain why there are so many faults and failures, and god forbid, actually fix them), but it's not looking too promising. I can't explain why things fail, only SS can, so take it up with them - yes it's a losing battle sometimes, but you also have the option to get a different security system.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

2 y ago

@Signalguys I "resemble that remark".  Yep, I am old and use old comic lines....and what you said about coltmaster1 is something a few have said about me over the years. There have even been a few times I have been accused of being a sleeper Simplisafe employee! Believe me, I am not.  And I can assure you coltmaster1, while always attempting to be helpful and balanced, can  (and does) rake Simplisafe over the coals when they fall short.

That said, I will stand with my belief that Simplisafe has the best value and solution in the industry. Perfect --- far from it, especially always behind on the required support resources and often their communication to customers just plain sucks..but in my experience they try to make customers whole when there are issues and far better than ADT.

My SS3 system, and the other 30 or so I have recommended and placed with friends, coworkers, family etc are doing fine.  When they do have issues (seldom) I can assure you I hear from them.  I have 3 simplicams, doorbell and over 40 sensors and all work well.  

That said, I do hope support can work through the issues you are experiencing.

57 Messages

2 y ago

I'm just sick of the whole thing. I have a private security company coming out to give me a quote on a real system with cameras, alarm and monitoring. Will cost a lot more than SS but it will be money well spent knowing the equipment will work when I need it to work!

Good luck everyone.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

2 y ago

@Signalguys good luck to you also.

Simplisafe, I do hope you are doing to do a case analysis on why Signalguys had so many issues that couldn't be resolved and others have no, or few, issues. This is a priceless opportunity to understand what and why things went south and how to address/prevent them in the future.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

2 y ago

^ not to mention, informing the rest of us with the issue and the solution.  Too often, there are several serious "issues" that never seem to be resolved, or, that the rest of us never hear about.

It would help if the forum were updated, so that SS had categories (and a Troubleshooting section) where stickies for common issues and even serious issues could be easily accessed and added to when necessary.  Out of millions of users, I doubt a certain "issue" is ever limited to just one person, despite SS reps saying "that's the first we've heard of that" - we just don't hear about the users who don't use the forum or social media.

1.3K Messages

2 y ago

Finding out what is the problem for sure in any individual case of interference will be effectively impossible unless SS sends someone with the right equipment to do a RFI/EMI site survey at the customer location, and the problem would occur when they are present with that gear.

Sure, they can get the parts back and ascertain if there is a technical failure of the parts and they should do that to eliminate that possibility. But, going back to localized interference issues...analysis of returned parts will not provide that insight.

1 Message

2 y ago

I just had the exact same thing. I was sitting quietly drinking coffee when I got the alert. Within 10 minutes I had constant verbal alerts and 35 text alerts. I called Simplisafe and I got my two keybads, reset the batteries in them, turned off the base station, removed the battery and turned everything on again. Another 60 or so text messages and announcements and I unplugged the base station with battery out just to shut it up. SS is sending me a new base station and keypad.

2 Hours later as an experiment I plugged in the base station and it turned on like nothing was ever wrong.