K

19 Messages

Tue, Aug 11, 2020 4:55 PM

New batch of Doorbell Pro cameras will not power on

Apparently there are known issue with the "new" batch of SimpliSafe Doorbell Pro camera according to the support person I spoke with this morning. I do not know exactly what "new" means. It looks like there are multiple entries for this issue on the forum. I am hoping the time I have spent dealing with this is helpful to others. Read my details below.

I received my first doorbell camera two weeks ago, wired it in, and it would not power on. The doorbell would ding so I knew the wiring was correct. I also measured the voltage at the doorbell and received a constant 19V. Support had me plug the micro USB port on the back into a wall charger and it still did not power on, so they sent me a replacement. The replacement arrived and exhibited the same behavior. I called support again and they sent me a chime connector, which again did not solve the problem. I called support again last week and they sent me a third camera. I received it yesterday and again saw the same behavior. I called support again this morning and they FINALLY acknowledge there was an issue with a firmware update for the latest batch of cameras. She apologized for me having to call so many times and nobody realizing that was the issue. They sent my contact information to the department working on the issue and they are supposed to reach out to me. She did not know how long it would take them to reach out or fix the issue.

As for their support, I have had mixed results. I've been a SimpliSafe customer for six years, but I have never had to call their support. I have found the best time to call is early in the morning. When I have called around 8:00am Central, I have spoken to someone very quickly. When I have called at night, I have waited for a long time, usually hanging up after about 40 minutes. As for the support they provide once on the phone, I have had three agents who were very helpful. The other two were very rude and both accused me of doing something wrong. One even went so far as to tell me the information I was giving her was "wishy washy". It turned out that she was assuming some things about my setup all along that were wrong. Overall, I'm not very impressed with their support especially after finding out this morning that the issue is a firmware issue.

If this issue with the new batch of doorbell cameras is as widespread as it seems, I do not understand why they are still shipping them. I am three for three on having a cameras with this issue. I am pretty frustrated with the camera at this point, but I did get a really good deal on it as part of an upgrade, so I will probably give them a little while to resolve the issue before returning and putting in a different doorbell camera.

Good luck!

3 Messages

2年前

Thank you for this comment. I have had the exact same problem as you and did exactly the same, calling customer support each time. I have tried 4 SimpliSafe camera doorbells all chime, but no power to the camera. I have Changed the transformer out to the doorbell, and my voltmeter is saying 24 volts. I even had an electrician come and he couldn't figure it out. Customer service has been helpful but I am on my fourth camera doorbell so I am giving up on this issue.

I also read that the connection port on the back of the doorbell camera is for the install of software and not to charge the camera. I have had no luck charging the camera doorbell when I have plugged in that access port.

19 Messages

2年前

There are several people on this forum reporting the same thing. I have never heard back from them about the issue. I sent them a message via Facebook yesterday and they said they had identified the cameras that had this issue and would send me a new one that does not have this issue. They identified an issue with the devices not going into the setup mode correctly. Supposedly, the replacement should be shipped within 24 hours, so it should be shipping today. It is supposed to be sent overnight, so it should arrive tomorrow. I will update this once I have the new one, which will hopefully be tomorrow.

1 Message

2年前

I thought I was going bonkers trying to install this doorbell camera and it would never power on.  Thank you for the post and I'll call customer service first thing tomorrow!

3 Messages

2年前

I came on here to hopefully find a solution to what was going on with our doorbell problems, and I was happy to see that we were not the only ones who were having power issues with it. We went through the same thing with two different doorbells - it would ring but not power on. My husband measured the voltage at the doorbell with his multimeter, and it was showing 18 volts, so we were very confused.

After the first one, they sent us a second one, which did the same thing, and instead of having them send us a third one, we just said we wanted to return it and get our money back. We were almost ready to just go and buy a different brand of video doorbell (even though all of our home security is through SimpliSafe), but I decided to check these forums first. I found a thread called "3 doorbell pros have been DOA" where someone posted that he ended up  going to Best Buy to purchase one to try to get away from this bad batch of doorbells, and it worked for him, so we decided to give that a try.

We ordered the video doorbell pro from Best Buy (which comes with three different colored face plates, an option you don't get when ordering straight from SimpliSafe), and it was delivered today. And guess what? Within just a few minutes of my husband hooking it up, we finally got a flashing white light and were able to successfully add it to our system. It works like a charm! So my suggestion would be to purchase one from Best Buy. But like kp511 said, if this firmware issue is as widespread as it seems, I don't know why SimpliSafe is still sending them out and why most of the support staff doesn't seem to know about it. I'm only aware of the problem because I read through this forum. We talked to four different customer support staff members, and not one of them said anything about a firmware issue. They just told us that they didn't know why we weren't getting power.

19 Messages

2年前

I have not received tracking on my latest replacement that is supposed to work, so I assuming it is not arriving today. I noticed I didn't talk to the person via Facebook until 3:40 Central on Tuesday, so it might not be shipping until today. Maybe tomorrow.

I like the idea of just picking the doorbell or some other brand up at Best Buy and I think that is a great option for anyone that is having this issue and paid list price. I purchased my Doorbell Pro at a 60% discount as part of an upgrade offer, so it cost me about $68. Getting the doorbell that cheap is the only reason I have not given up on the Doorbell Pro and switched to something else.

216 Messages

2年前

I installed a new Video Doorbell about 2 weeks ago, and fortunately have not had that problem, and I left a very favorable review of the SS Doorbell on Amazon.  Which is the place from which I bought it.

As a retired Database Administrator and Software Projects Manager, I understand just how EXPENSIVE software testing can be.  But you can't skimp on such things, especially so if what you are trying to sell is the idea of 'security'.  Long ago, I learned that it is much better to delay a feature than it is to release it before you have complete confidence in it.  A delayed feature is far less damaging to one's career than a crappy feature.

19 Messages

2年前

I received my latest replacement Doorbell Pro this morning. Installed it, waited about 20 minutes, and walked out to find the light blinking waiting for setup. I was able to set it up using the app and it is working properly now.

I never heard back from anyone from technical support, so I would suggest anyone having this issue reach out to SimpliSafe via social media. I talked to them via Facebook late on Tuesday afternoon, they acknowledged the issue with some devices, and I finally have a working Doorbell Pro today (Thursday).

2年前

Well it's September 26th and I'm having the same thing as you guys , I've been on hold for 26 mins now trying to get a replacement sent I guess , this sucks

2 Messages

2年前

I'm on my 2nd doorbell pro. Same issues as a lot of people.  When I first put the 2nd one on it seemed to work for a short time. I reinstalled it and it worked for a longer time. Then it disconnected again and I've been unable to get it to work. The doorbell has no light. If I push the large button to ring, it turns blue, rings outside but not inside, blinks blue for a little bit then goes completely out. I took it off and did the buttons thing on the back, but no improvement. Spent $200 for support from my WiFi router because I was told my WiFi must be too weak.  That's not the case so I'm out $200. I bought mine at Sam's. I will try simplisafe tomorrow morning again. (I can't keep track of how many times and how much time I've spent on this).  Customer support gave conflicting info to me also.   If it can't be resolved tomorrow I'll return it and try another brand even though my security system is simplisafe.  Not a happy customer right now.

2 Messages

2年前

I'm on my 2nd doorbell pro. Same issues as a lot of people.  When I first put the 2nd one on it seemed to work for a short time. I reinstalled it and it worked for a longer time. Then it disconnected again and I've been unable to get it to work. The doorbell has no light. If I push the large button to ring, it turns blue, rings outside but not inside, blinks blue for a little bit then goes completely out. I took it off and did the buttons thing on the back, but no improvement. Spent $200 for support from my WiFi router because I was told my WiFi must be too weak.  That's not the case so I'm out $200. I bought mine at Sam's. I will try simplisafe tomorrow morning again. (I can't keep track of how many times and how much time I've spent on this).  Customer support gave conflicting info to me also.   If it can't be resolved tomorrow I'll return it and try another brand even though my security system is simplisafe.  Not a happy customer right now.