S

Fri, May 8, 2020 9:51 PM

Poor camera quality in night vision

Hi, everyone.

Following my previous post, I've successfully installed my camera outside, with the outdoor kit. I'm just looking at the live feed and the night vision picture quality is absolutely shocking. Super grainy - you'd have trouble seeing much from it.

I have the camera set to its maximum quality - 720p - and night vision on auto. It made no difference when I changed it to 'on'.

My other camera in the living room doesn't have this problem and things appear really nicely.

Was there a protective film on the sensor that I've missed, or something? I'm guessing there's no sensor where the status light is? I put tape over that to stop the light showing outside (before I realised there was an option in settings).

Only thing is that my firmware is waaayyy out of date. SimpliSafe couldn't understand how - it's older firmware than when I purchased it. But the camera won't update so I've got to reset it. Anyway, that's another story!

Here's the quality I'm talking about - https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ZGacGk6W6D7nmPFC7P_yB9ZA

It's almost worse when you're watching it because the graininess is moving around. The quality in the daytime was brilliant. Also, the camera was inside the garage for three days before I installed it outside and I didn't notice a lack of quality inside with Night Vision.

Thanks for your help,
Ste.

21 Messages

2年前

Have also noticed that it doesn't seem to be picking up motion consistently.

When right under or in-front of it, it seems to trigger. But anything further and it just ignores it.

Take a look at this image - https://share.icloud.com/photos/0AQqI-GYZHwWSKZEM0sdh6SCw

A mother and her daughter just walked past roughly where that drain is in the middle of the picture. Camera didn't trigger.

Motion is enabled and sensitivity is set to high.

21 Messages

2年前

Have also just tested the SimpliCam in my living room and no matter what setting is turned on, it's not detecting movement (on open shutter) until you're about 2ft in front of it!

What is going on? That's absolutely unusable at that distance.

1 Message

2年前

Having the same issue here! Camera outside and door bell camera is absolute trash quality during night time. Called tech support but they're useless. Really don't know what to do at this point.

1 Message

2年前

I had to read these reviews before I put the orders!!!!! I just purchased two cameras for outside door use, and it cannot detect any motion except someone stand right in front of it, but the indoor one works well in my house, I don't know why it happened, and the tech support told me that they are working on this issue that means they don't have any solution about that. Very disappointed!!!!

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

2年前

The cameras are designed for indoor use.  They are "change in temperature" sensors, and the temperature outdoors varies more than indoors, confusing the cameras "motion" sensing..

21 Messages

2年前

Weirdly, my outdoor camera seems to work ok now. It has its moments where it doesn't detect, but 95% of the time, it detects everything I need it to. People walking by, cars, vans etc.

It was on really old firmware and is now on the newest one, which also improved the quality at night. However, it's still pretty low quality.

2 Messages

2年前

My camera in the garage looks fine with the night vision on and it's pitch black dark in the garage.

The camera in my backyard looks fine during the day but at night, it looks blurry as if there's something on the lens

I'm not sure why this happens

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

2年前

^ If you have the simplicam outdoor-cover on it, there have been reports that it interferes with the lens - most people trim off the "lip" of the cover over the lens and they're good to go.  Don't know if that is your issue or not, but if you have the cover on it, try and see.

2 Messages

Thank you, I'll give that a try, I do have the cover on it

1 Message

2年前

I want to buy an IR illuminator to improve night vision. Does this camera sensor need 850 nm or 940 nm wavelength?

1.3K Messages

2年前

Normally you can tell what the camera is geared for by observing the built-in IR illuminator. If you see faint reddish glow of the IR illuminator LED (which is the case with SS cam) it's 850. You won't see any glow of a 940 emitter with your eyes.

2年前

I have the same problem... I ordered 3 cameras. Yesterday I installed 2 outside (with the outside kid) and the quality during the day is phenomenal. At night time it is literally impossible to see anything.

After reading this forum, I think I will take advantage of the 30 days money back guaranteed for the cameras.

All other devices are working perfect.

1 Message

I have a cover on mine and the picture showed circles of lights. Couldn't make anything out at night. I trimmed the edge of the rubber cover with a knife to the point it was even with the camera lens. Now it is completely clear! Very easy fix.

1 Message

I also have my camera outside with the outdoor cover. The night vision was terrible, with circles of light that completely obscured the view. I tried this trim procedure of the rubber cover that extended slightly past the lens. Trimmed it to the lens.  It is completely fixed. Ir view is totally clear.

2年前

How can I fix the quality of the camera at night?

1.3K Messages

Depends what the problem is. Just saying "fix the quality" isn't really specific enough.

1.3K Messages

Depends what the problem is. Just saying "fix the quality" isn't really specific enough.

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

2年前

The camera is the same quality 24 hours a day  :-)   I think what you are looking to improve is the quality of the picture.  And the key to that is LIGHT.  Light the area you want the camera to view with either visible light or whatever IR frequency it uses.

1 Message

2年前

I have been having issues with my outdoor camera not working at night. When I check it during the day it's fine, but when I check it at night it's completely black. Yes my porch light is on and I've tried all the troubleshooting they recommended. Turning the night vision on/off doesn't make a difference. This is the 3rd camera I am having this issue with. THE THIRD CAMERA. Tech support doesn't seem to have a solution for me. Is anyone else having this same issue?

8 Messages

8分前

I have same exact problem on 1 of 2 cameras mounted outdoors.