M

Mon, Oct 19, 2020 1:49 PM

Sensors triggered for no reason

My wife and I were at work and around 5:11am I got a notification that some of our sensors we triggered. Someone called to make sure everything was fine and they sent someone out to check on everything. We are very confused with what happened! The motion sensor in our living room was triggered first and three minutes later the entry sensor on the kitchen window was triggered. We aren't sure how that is possible. That would mean someone would have to be in the house already and then open the window after walking by the motion sensor. We have two cats but they've never triggered the motion sensors before. Once we got home and saw that everything looked normal and all the sensors were still in tact I called SimpliSafe to ask if they know what could have happened. Two different people told me they've never seen that happen and they made it sound like it wasn't possible for that to happen. I just wondered if anyone else has ever seems this before and if anyone has an explanation. It's kinda creepy.

1 Message

Il y a 1 m

Just had 2 of my motion sensors go off at the same time, they are on different levels of the house so this would have been difficult for an actual event to cause. Never got a call from the company so I’m currently wondering what I’m paying them for. Will be calling them in the morning to find out more.

This comment has been converted into a post

3 Messages

Il y a 1 m

In the last 48 hours after the original issues I have had two more entry sensors twice each become non responsive and then later became responsive. SS has decided to send me a new base station. Something is just not right with my existing system.

2 Messages

Il y a 19 d

Today I had a front door entry sensor and motion sensor trigger. However, nothing could have or should have triggered them. And there's no evidence that anyone entered.  Plus, no animals, no direct sunlight, no heat/cooling.  Weird. 

This comment has been converted into a post

1 Message

Il y a 17 d

We just had a false fire alarm call go out thank goodness we caught it in time and also someone disabled our alarm from the keypad a couple hours later when we were in the house it was not us. 

Community Admin

• 

3.2K Messages

@tracyyanez​ that is very concerning. Please reach out to our Support team so we can look into your account and get to the bottom of this ASAP.

1 Message

Il y a 15 d

I have also received two false alarms in the last three months (6/2022 and 9/2022) from two different motion detectors on two different alarm systems.  The sensors are located out of direct sun light, there are no pets, and no heat registers nearby.  SimpliSafe gave the advice to lower the sensitivity to low (from existing medium).  SimpliSafe rep also asked if there were any thunderstorms implying that could set off the motion sensor.  How can a device as stated on the web page that "Detects unique heat signature of people" be confused by thunderstorms?  SimpliSafe rep also stated was making note in my file and if I had another motion detector false alarm would "see about getting me some replacements".

As I re-read this thread it is beginning to look like there is a problem with the SimpliSafe motion sensors.   

Community Admin

• 

3.2K Messages

@mb2bailey​ our Motion Sensors are calibrated for people. But they're not able to tell the difference between people and non-people; just the amount of heat that could be a person.

When looking for false alarm triggers, you want to look for anything that generates heat. So pets and heating vents are a good start, but appliances and other objects like that could trigger too. 

Has there been any false triggers since you lowered the sensitivity? We'd want to look more closely at what is within view of those sensors to figure this out.

(edited)