J

Wed, Jan 29, 2020 9:21 PM

SMS Verification Down?

I have not use SS for a while, but last week I tried to turn it up in a renovation that I am working on.  I tried to set up SMS alerts on my Verizon phone, but never received a verification text.  I hit re-send several times, and got nothing.  Thinking that perhaps it was a carrier issue, I then tried to send alerts to my AT&T phone.  Same thing. Now the little red "verify" flags are next to both numbers.  I called the HD, and after waiting an hour was told that their whole texting system was down, and I should "try it next week."  Also, I was told that even if the number was verified manually, then I still would not get the actual alerts.  The more I have thought about this, the more skeptical that I have become.  If the whole thing is down, wouldn't there be more postings here on the issue?  Has anyone else heard of this?

1.2K Messages

Il y a 3 y

Txt alerts are working fine on my Verizon phone.  Just ran a test just now.  Are you able to arm and disarm from the app?  Do we know that the Base station is connected to SS?

4 Messages

Yes, the base station is connected and everything else seems to work fine.  I can arm or disarm the alarm system and see the timeline.  I even get emailed alerts.  But when I try to verify my number to receive SMS alerts, I never receive the verification text for either my AT&T phone or my Verizon phone.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 3 y

Mine are working.  But, a couple weeks ago, they were not, they were terribly sporadic and several days, had none at all.  Then days later, all the previous alerts showed up sporadically for 2 days, one of them never showed up, it was pathetic.  On the fourth day, either it magically resolved on it's own (unlikely), or SS saw my complaints on the forum and fixed it (they have this issue a few times a year it seems).

When you're setting up SMS text alerts from your online control panel under Alerts - from the phone carrier option drop-down list, instead of choosing "Verizon", choose "Verizon Smartphone".  See if that works.  If it doesn't, or if it works for a couple days then stops sending SMS messages again, call SS back and ask for a senior supervisor to get it fixed.

Advocate

• 

541 Messages

Il y a 3 y

Our regular cell phones are with tmobile and we never get texts alerts and ss cant fix it and neither can tmobile, now my work phone is with Verizon and i get the text so i just rely on app push notifications. Speaking of app i still have not updated my as there were a lot of people having problems with the app so whays the scoop on it. I really don't want to update it when everything is working perfectly right now. Dont want to change something that is good

1.2K Messages

Il y a 3 y

@Lance

I constantly stay up to date on all things tech, including SS.  I'm currently having no problems with the latest App update or the SS Base+keypad update.

BUT...

I generally don't have the strange issues that others seem to have for some odd reason.  Who knows why.

Advocate

• 

541 Messages

Il y a 3 y

@drunkpenquin well thays good but im still seeing where people are having issues with the new update for the app so im going to pass on the update for awhile as everything is working solid and its always some dumb update that screws it up and i am not calling them lol so if its working now then im good.

4 Messages

Il y a 3 y

Coltmaster, your suggestion worked.  I did not have the "smartphone" option selected for either carrier.  I will monitor to see if it continues to text me, but many thanks.