coltmaster1's profile
Advocate

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Fri, Jun 28, 2019 3:44 PM

So, Simplisafe, what's the *official answer* to the 3G changes?

SimpliSafe is dedicated to providing our customers with expert-level protection, and this includes ensuring 24/7 access to our professional monitoring centers via a strong cellular connection. For more info on our efforts to address 2G/3G Sunset, including obtaining and installing a new cellular module, check out our Help Center Article here.

It would be incredibly helpful to have SS post an official answer as to what users are supposed to do about their systems when their carriers' 3G are shut down.  Various answers by phone or email reps doesn't help.  We're requesting an OFFICIAL ANSWER.  (a sticky would also be nice, hi-lighted as well:)

1.  Do you have new and compatible modules for ALL SS1, SS2 and SS3?

2.  Do you have an AMPLE supply of them so customers aren't left hanging when their carrier suddenly shuts down?

3.  Do you plan to notify all your customers that new modules may or will be necessary, and instructions on how to get them?

4.  There will be no charge to customers for new modules, right?

Thanks.

179 Messages

Il y a 3 y

I predict the following answers from SS:

Answers will be posted in the CRC!

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 3 y

LOL, no doubt!

1.3K Messages

Il y a 3 y

Not sure how long y'all can hold your breath, but I suggest using some of what remains to call (or send an email) before you pass out. The intent is noble but there is no shame to git'er done.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 3 y

Yes, I know that, but with a proper answer, we can help direct others which will be happening over the next 2 years, LOL.

Besides, it never hurts to give SS a needed nudge, not that it's ever productive, but I digress.  It would, however, serve them right when their phone lines become inundated due to another unprepared and unpleasant situation (which is why a great many customers end up in the forums where we, as the dedicated, lovely, beta-tester peasants that we are, can be useful).

Advocate

• 

636 Messages

Il y a 3 y

On top of that, calling or emailing does not appear to provide a consistent or definitive answer as customers are receiving different responses. At least there is some accountability if posted on the forum as a specific reply will have to be given for all to see (whether it turns out to be right or wrong). It places pressure on SimpliSafe to investigate and at least attempt to get it right. Whereas numerous (and different) individuals handle email and calls, it gives the company an out by placing the blame on the specific employee who answers (which is wrong but gives the company an excuse).

1.3K Messages

@Shiherlis

What different answers are you privvy to?

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 3 y

^ Yep, exactly.

1 Message

Il y a 3 y

Is this potentially why after 4 years of working fine I now get "No link to dispatcher" no matter how many times I reset the base station?

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 3 y

^ at this point in time, it's most likely a different issue - such as potentially needing a new base station module (i.e., if you have a tmobile module, ask SS for the verizon one instead, has solved a ton of issues regarding no-link-to-dispatch).  It could also be your cellular connection is weak, SS can tell you the strength of your connection on the phone (and if you have SS3, you can see if in your settings options, keep scrolling right (>) on the keypad to see your wifi and cell info).

1.3K Messages

Il y a 3 y

Maybe or maybe not. A while back one of my bases lost contact after I inadvertently failed to renew the monitoring plan. Despite reactivating monitoring, the base would not reconnect even after multiple reboots. Called SS and they had to reset something on their end. It's been good since.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

Il y a 3 y

As the wheels of progress slowly (key word there, "Slowly") turn for the roll out of 5G, even though Simplisafe is not forthcoming on its plans when 3G is phased out, they have to have one as when it finally happens SS addresses it or they lose a ton of monitoring revenue. That is not going to happen so......as ronsec said, keep looking for that news update in the new CRC.  Hmmm, wonder which one will come out first.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 3 y

That may be true, Captain, but keeping an open notice about it would save both customers and SS a ton of headaches, avoiding long call times, reps not knowing what they're talking about, and shipping mishaps.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

Agree with all you posted, just that don't think SS is about to do any of it...

1.3K Messages

Il y a 3 y

Received my new cell modules on Friday (or maybe it was Saturday). Installed them Sunday.

Smart phone app, timeline, and monitoring service all (almost instantly, I might add) acknowledged receipt of user-initiated test signal. Yet, on neither system, can I remotely access/change the base settings. I have separate dialog going with SS about this.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 3 y

By remotely, do your mean the phone app or the web app?  Can you post what SS says if/when/what the resolution is?  Thanks.

1.3K Messages

Neither the web app nor the smart phone app works to access the base settings, despite the test signal being sent and received.

I went through this before, early on, when I swapped the TMobile modules for Verizon modules. I went through several resets (disconnect power, remove one battery) and requests to put the bases by a window but none of that worked. At some point along the way SS said they needed to do something on their end, then it worked. Unfortunately I don't recall what that was though. I was hoping to cut to the chase right to that step this time around but so far the suggestions have been same as last time (reset and try new location) and with so far same result as last time...still not working.

72 Messages

Il y a 3 y

I also would be interested in hearing an update about 3g and whether these systems will still work. I would hope if this does make these systems no longer work and they need new parts to continue working they will start rolling that out 6 months + before the cut off dates...

1.3K Messages

You can sit back, holding your breath, or you can be proactive. Your call.

But, I strongly suggest thinking hard about who has new modules already installed (ahem...) and how that came to be, vs. who is still talking about "what if", so to speak.

This is not an "either" "or" situation in case that isn't apparent. Meaning, you can get on the phone (or email) asking about the issue and/or requesting new modules AND still bitch on the forum about lack of a published message/stance. You don't have to pick one or the other, you can do both.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

Il y a 3 y

I guess I am very calm (not likely being from NJ) with a very carefree attitude.  3G, 4G or the eventual deployment of real 5G, WIFI 6 etc etc, any or all of it will have to be supported by SS or they won't have their cash cow, monitoring.  I really don't see sweating this one, they will roll x out to do it.  So they don't tell me today, fine. Just my personal outlook,  Time for that Death's Door and tonic, with a twist of lime, to face the perils of the night. :-)