coltmaster1's profile
Advocate

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Fri, Jun 28, 2019 3:44 PM

So, Simplisafe, what's the *official answer* to the 3G changes?

SimpliSafe is dedicated to providing our customers with expert-level protection, and this includes ensuring 24/7 access to our professional monitoring centers via a strong cellular connection. For more info on our efforts to address 2G/3G Sunset, including obtaining and installing a new cellular module, check out our Help Center Article here.

It would be incredibly helpful to have SS post an official answer as to what users are supposed to do about their systems when their carriers' 3G are shut down.  Various answers by phone or email reps doesn't help.  We're requesting an OFFICIAL ANSWER.  (a sticky would also be nice, hi-lighted as well:)

1.  Do you have new and compatible modules for ALL SS1, SS2 and SS3?

2.  Do you have an AMPLE supply of them so customers aren't left hanging when their carrier suddenly shuts down?

3.  Do you plan to notify all your customers that new modules may or will be necessary, and instructions on how to get them?

4.  There will be no charge to customers for new modules, right?

Thanks.

1.3K Messages

Il y a 3 y

Well, I guess that's two of us not worried (as if I really was in the first place) but for two different reasons. My shit is already taken care of for the foreseeable future, you're just gonna roll with it however it comes. LOL.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

Il y a 3 y

@whoaru99 , no way will SS risk its cash cow of monitoring fees. Plain and simple.  As we all wait the roll out of 5G, which will be going on for the next three years and beyond. For 2019, almost non-existent.

1.3K Messages

Who said anything that they were going to leave you high and dry? Certainly not me. If anyone takes that from what I've said they've completely misunderstood.

The point is why wait for some sort of statement from SS or some sort of crossin' your fingers last minute reprieve when you can take care of it right now. There is zero benefit to waiting, especially if your service is Verizon, as their party line is to have 3G fully discontinued at the end of 2019 and apparently they're already shutting if off in some markets.

Might they extend it at the last minute? Maybe, but looks like they're already pulling the plug some areas.
Might there be a contingency for some customers? Maybe.
Might there be a contingency for emergency services? Maybe, but I refer you back to "Might they extend it..."

Why roll any of those dice when you don't need to? There is a solution today and all you have to do is ask for it.

Advocate

• 

638 Messages

Il y a 3 y

@whoaru99

So what brand of new Wireless Module do you have in your Base Station(s)/did you recently receive? I just read in this post:

https://simplisafe.com/forum/customer-support-forum/installing-and-using-simplisafe/simplisafe-not-seeing-verizon#comment-4310918

That T-Mobile plans to retire its 3G service next year.

The biggest problem I see is many have no clue that the end of 3G is coming, and it is not their fault. So how can one be proactive as you suggest if they do not visit these forums or read the information on the subject (elsewhere - i.e., the Internet) and make a correlation between the two? The majority of people I know have no clue about the impending change.

That is a lot to fault the customer. My mother, I know will have no idea about any of this and the family member I gave my old system to (who is younger than me by the way, so it is not due to age alone) will not either. They will know because I will inform them. And if I were not active on the forums and researching the topic, I too would have no clue about the [potential] problem.

That is why I believe it lies in the hands of SimpliSafe to inform its customers about the subject.

By the way, when I purchased my SS2 system, it had a T-Mobile Module installed. It would no longer connect after two months. SimpliSafe sent a replacement Wireless Module (Verizon) which fixed the issue. But guess which Module is in the Base I gave to the family member - Verizon. That individual has never visited the SimpliSafe forum. So without action on my part, they would someday lose connection and have no idea why.

I cannot blame them for their lack of understanding as to the reason. That, in my opinion, falls on SimpliSafe to notify them before the module they use, no longer works.

1.3K Messages

Il y a 3 y

@Shiherlis

https://simplisafe.com/forum/customer-support-forum/emergency-dispatch/base-unit-blinking-blue-says-no-link-to-di

4th reply to the original post in the above link.

Again, as far as some sort of notice from Simplisafe who knows when or in what form that may come. Maybe they will continue to handle it by attrition, so to speak; who knows at this point. One should presume that is the plan since, today anyway, there isn't anything else.

But, YOU know, I know, and anyone else who encounter the posts on the forum are now at least generally aware of the situation. We can take care of our own and advise anyone we know with SS and get those sorted out today. Even if that is a small percent of fix it's still a better contingency/containment plan than hoping/waiting for statement.

Advocate

• 

638 Messages

@whoaru99

I appreciate the response. For those who, for some reason decide not to click on the link, the new Wireless Modules I inquired about are Verizon with LTE network support (as opposed to CDMA).

50 Messages

Il y a 3 y

For those of us with SS3:
Do we have 4G or LTE Verizon cards already or do we need to work on an upgraded card as well?

1.3K Messages

Figure out how to take the cover off and get a picture of the cellular module that clearly shows the details of the "chip". Link the picture into this thread. Or, at least report the brand and model of what it in there. The forum will be likely be able to ascertain beyond reasonable doubt the capabilities from that picture.

For example, upon removing the tower cover on my SS2 bases, it was easy to see the cell modules were "Telit CE910-Dual" modules. A quick Google search on that make and model clearly reveals they are CDMA/3G-type.

36 Messages

Il y a 3 y

I called support today, and SS will be sending me a CAT-M1 Module which will work on Verizon's network when 3G finally bites the dust.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 3 y

My conversation with a (very cool rep) this evening resulted in the following, which was relayed to him, by a supervisor:

SS3 versions should already have the module that is already adapted to the 3G to 4G change.  No action is necessary.

SS2 versions most likely have to have new modules to support 4G.  Forgot to ask about SS1, but assume the same, they'll probably need to be changed.

They ordered modules in advance (but he didn't say if they had an ample supply currently).

I requested that Johnny or Lee could post an official notice on the forum to help users determine if their systems will require a new module, and if so, how to obtain one promptly since carriers aren't so great at notifying customers of tower changes - and so others can continue to help answer questions here - he said the supervisor is sending the request to the feedback team. (not sure if that's a good thing or not, LOL), but the concern was taken seriously.

36 Messages

Il y a 3 y

How can one determine
1: if on a wifi/cellular system, the cellular is functional
2: What carrier, type and signal strength of cellular connection is active?

Verizon is scheduled to shut down 3G service nationwide on January 1st 2020.  This will greatly alter the coverage footprint in rural areas, particularly for areas using a signal that's not line of sight to a tower.

Verizon has said that due to "machine to machine" commitments in some areas, they'll keep a small bit of signal on 3G for a limited time after that date.  So if your signal keeps working on January 1st, you're not completely out of the woods yet.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 3 y

Unfortunately, if your SS3 has applied the newest OTA update, SS in all their wisdom took away the option for users to see their cellular connection information.  If you want to know if cellular is connected when wifi goes down, turn off your wifi, or, arm or disarm, or, do a user-initiated test on a sensor or two and wait for call from monitoring, or, access your phone app or web portal (if you can access either, your cellular is fine - if you cannot access either, or your base station is announcing no connection, your cellular isn't working).

Before the update, one was able to see their cell connection via keypad > Menu > (enter PIN) > System Settings > scroll to Diagnostics > use Right-arrow to view Base, Keypad, Wifi, and Cellular information (which showed, for cellular: Status/RSSI/Carrier/Network/IP).

Ideally, SS needs to post a brief notice on their main index page, linked to an explanation page on how to obtain a new module to be compatible with the change (assuming for SS2 users only) - and/or, also in the forums and FB, twitter, etc.  Easiest way to reach the majority of their customers.