F

Fri, Aug 13, 2021 11:13 PM

Uninterrupted Power Supply

Given that Simplisafe system fails when home power supply fails, has anyone installed an uninterrupted power supply between base station and home power?  If not, why not?  If so, do you have recommendations for size, capacity, brand, etc.?

We have had several complete community power blackouts and simplisafe has shut down.  I'd like to provide back-up power supply that might provide continuing protection to our home.

Advocate

• 

636 Messages

Il y a 1 a

It should not fail. The Base Station has a backup battery. While it does not last as long as SimpliSafe claims (24-hours), it takes over immediately in the event of a power loss. If your Base is not doing so, it needs replacement.

Some do have their Base connected to a UPS. While power outages are now a recurring problem in northern California, I find the backup battery contained in the Base Station to be sufficient.

Advocate

• 

417 Messages

Il y a 1 a

and simplisafe has shut down.

What, exactly, does this mean? Does the base station just power off as soon as the power goes out? Are you getting an error message? If so, what?

As noted above, there are NiMH rechargeable batteries in the base unit so the base unit should stay on-line unless the power is out long enough to drain the batteries. If you unplug the base unit and it powers off immediately then I'm guessing it's one of the following:

- The NiMH Batteries are failing or have failed entirely and won't hold a charge
- The NiMH Batteries aren't properly connected or the tab wasn't fully pulled out of the base unit (or tore off) to enable the batteries (You can unplug power from the base unit, remove a screw on the bottom of the base unit and pull out the bottom to confirm the batteries are connected properly)
- Some other hardware failure in the unit itself

You should call SS support and work with them to determine the root cause and if the base unit itself is faulty, or it needs new batteries, they can instruct you on what to do. (Please DO NOT put Alkaline batteries in the base unit!)

1.3K Messages

Il y a 1 a

There have been lots of threads on batteries and ways to extend standby time. UPS is one way.

Based on my own testing in one of those threads, the evidence suggests the battery state of charge monitor has a flawed setpoint and or calculation.

The batteries actually do have the capacity to go 24 hours, give or take, but the base detects them as low prematurely so you only actually get around 6-8 hours standby. But, if you temporarily remove a battery then put it back in, you get another 6-8 hours standby. You can do that at least three times and the total hours ends up right around 24.

Obviously I'm not suggesting one should have to do that. SS should look into the battery monitor system to be sure it's properly tuned for the discharge curve of NiMH batteries. I think it is not.

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

Il y a 1 a

Older UPS were designed to provide a lot of power for a short period of time in order to cleanly shut down your system..  There was so much inefficiency in the conversion from DC to AC that even with minimal draw, they did not last for more than a half hour or so.  The newer ones may be more efficient.

I have a Cyberpower which my SS and my exterior camera system is plugged into, and the "estimated remaining time" it displayed was pretty good I thought.  Of course, it could be "mistaken".  I don't recall for sure how long it claimed, and when I went to check it just now, I found the battery completely dead.  I think I can get a replacement battery for it.

It even has a couple of USB outlets, so could power the interior cameras as well; I've just not drilled a hole through the wall to wire them..