‎Verizon 4G LTE Network Extender disconnects SimpliSafe | SimpliSafe Support Home

R

Friday, May 24th, 2019 8:00 PM

Verizon 4G LTE Network Extender disconnects SimpliSafe

I finally figured out what was going on with my new SimpliSafe cellular connection. If I unplug the extender the SimpliSafe cellular connection works fine. As soon as I connect it it immediately causes the SimpliSafe cellular connection to disconnect. Using Google to search the SimpliSafe forum I have found others that have this issue as well. I have been unable to find out why this is the case. The 4G LTE network extender is a 4G only device and uses completely different radio frequencies than the 2G/3G signal our SimpliSafe Verizon SS3 modules are using. There should be no interference at all. But clearly there is. This interference would be an FCC violation.

Is there any word from SimpliSafe on why a device that uses a completely different frequency is causing issues?

434 Messages

5 years ago

How close is the 4G network extender to the SS base? It's possible that the mere presence of the relatively large signal of the extender is simply saturating the SS base receiver. All interference tests are conducted with certain assumptions in mind. Real world scenarios may not always conform to the tested assumptions.

Assuming you want to try to resolve the problem, I would suggest you 1st troubleshoot by moving the 2 items farther apart from each other. Does this resolve the issue?

Next, you might be able to have them in relatively close proximity to each other, but offset somehow from each other. Maybe different height or inline with one another. It depends how the antenna patterns are aligned, and may be very sensitive.

2 Messages

5 years ago

Far apart, I have the units on completely opposite floors and side of the house. They are as far apart as I can get them.

2 Messages

5 years ago

Having same issue. Is there any resolution to this problem. Moved base station around house with no effect... Base station worked fine prior to setting up 4g LTE extender from Verizon so I know that is what is causing the problem.

1.3K Messages

5 years ago

There are probably many variants of 4G extenders but one Verizon example said only devices that support HD Voice would work with the extender. My guess is that the cellular module in SS3, whilst generally compatible with LTE/4G, is a data-only type of modem, probably not having HD Voice functionality. That might be what's going on.

Big question for me is if the base will connect otherwise, why do you need an extender? Yes, I know you almost certainly have other cellular devices but if they are connecting without?

2 Messages

5 years ago

We have the old SS system not the new one, I should mention. SS system works great if extender is off. As soon as it is turned on, SS system says cannot connect to dispatch. I replaced the module in the SS Base station about 4 months or so ago from a TMobile Mod to a Verizon Mod. We out of the blue had issues and that fixed the problem then.

Here in our new house we have metal siding and it effectively blocks most, if not all, cell signal in the house. I'm not going to live with going outside to make and receive phone calls. Especially since winter is coming and I need my cell service for work as I work from home. Right now I am relying on Google Voice and wifi for work calls. But I have no idea if I even missed any calls on my Verizon phone till we leave the house and wait say 10 minutes for signal to reacquire.

I should not have to choose between having a working cell phone or a working alarm system.
Waiting on a call back from the tech at SS I spoke to today who had me do every hard and soft reset imaginable and finally had me just shut off the extender and say "Ok it's all fixed, have a good night"...Turned extender back on and no sooner did I hang up with tech, lost SS connection to dispatch.

I know what is causing the problem. What is the fix? Why is a verizon module in the base station not working with a verizon signal extender? Should I switch back to a T-mobile module?
Should I dump SimpliSafe altogether, because I'm not dropping my carrier for another carrier who MIGHT work in my house...

15 Messages

5 years ago

I've been experiencing a similar issue. SimpliSafe tech support has been horrendous with this. They haven't fave a flip if my issue was resolved or not.

I called Verizon and spoke with a Level 2 Support Rep. They're asking me to attempt to get either the Billing Phone Number or the ICCID/SIM Card Number of the Verizon Module in the SimpliSafe Base Station from SimpliSafe. They said if they have it, they can whitelist it on their end with the Network Extender to permit the SimpliSafe Base Station to connect successfully to it.

Verizon said if it still doesn't work, they'll try other workarounds with me, so we'll see how this goes.

1.3K Messages

5 years ago

Presuming this is a SS3 system, which I do not know how the base comes apart.

For my SS2 system the top of the base is just a twist lock sort of deal. Turn it 1/4 or maybe it1/2 turn and the whole top come off, exposing the cell module and SIM. Of course, you'd want to have it unplugged and batteries removed first.

Once the cover is off you could remove the SIM to get the number off it. Of course, SS should be able to provide that but if getting ahold of them is dragging out then there is option to dig in.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

5 years ago

With SS3, you remove the power adapter cord from the bottom of the base station, there's a teeny weeny screw to access the battery compartment/SIM etc. (untwist the cone and lift up, just as with SS2).

parkernathan, if you're willing to wait, use the chat feature first thing in the morning.  Or call SS at 9-am sharp (ET).  As stated in another post, I know that SS is aware of users having problem with extenders, I suppose it's possible their engineers are working on it, but people have to keep up on SS to find out.

15 Messages

5 years ago

A SS supervisor called and gave me the Billing Number to the module. Has a scheduled callback next week to give me a chance to call Verizon Level 2 Support back on a day I'm not working. We did some tests with unplugging the Network Extender, and the SS module re-connected successfully.

So the Network Extender is definitely interfering.

Once I talk with Verizon Level 2 Support again, we'll see if whitelisting the Billing Number in the Network Extender works or if the issue is deeper than that. Will report back here on how it goes.

15 Messages

5 years ago

Talked to Verizon Level 2 Support today. They said unfortunately the LTE Network Extender doesn't have a White List function on it, so that won't work.

They also couldn't find a way to get the SimpliSafe Base Station to work with the Network Extender from the Network Extender's end.

In the meantime, they're having me try Wi-Fi Calling as a workaround, although I'd eventually like to use the Network Extender (for now I'll keep it unplugged).

So I guess it's up to SimpliSafe to see if they can figure out how to get the SimpliSafe Base Station and Network Extender to play well together.
New to the Community? Get started by reading our Welcome Post.