C

Sun, Feb 9, 2020 10:34 PM

What happens?

I have to wonder..  When a system is armed with no functioning motion or glass-break sensors in the area; what happens IF someone 'quickly' smashes a window, jerks both the tape mounted sensors from the frame and the sash window and tapes them together- before opening the window frame and entering through it?

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 3 y

Be nice, curiousGeorge.  I admit, it was hard to read at first, but I see the point clearly.  No matter how the glass is broken in a CLOSED window, unless the bad guy has on leather gloves and takes his sweet time pulling out the smaller shards from the frame before entering through the still-closed window, he's going to prefer just opening the window, taking one quick swipe with his gloved hand to remove shards of glass from the window sill and then enter the OPENED window.  Assuming this is a bad guy with a brain.  Bad guys who don't think it through, don't think about cutting themselves and leaving blood drops for the cops to find.

1.2K Messages

Il y a 3 y

An argument on the SS forum? I guess theres a first for everything.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 3 y

Shut up, DP!  

(just laugh and get over it)

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

Il y a 3 y

@drunkpenguin a first for an arguement? C'mon. There have been many disagreements, but luckily, most pretty civil.

To add my 4  cents (deflation :-) layers of security is the way to go. Motions in every room, glass breaks for breakup, entry sensor on all doors, some windows AND "deadman traps", ie entry sensors on desk drawers, room doors that are normally not used, closet doors etc that are armed instant in home or away. If I get a call from dispatch, depending on the sensor tripped, I can safely say someone is where they shouldn't be.

1.2K Messages

Il y a 3 y

lol Captain I think you got too much sun on your vacation.  :)  I was being a bit sarcastic.  Maybe a lot sarcastic.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

Il y a 3 y

Sheesh, Captain, thanks for the information overload, now you've got my head spinning on all the things I could be protecting, but haven't, lol.

57 Messages

Il y a 3 y

This is where context is very important. Where I live, most windows are 1-2 feet off the ground so you don't have to "crawl' through them. You would just "step' into them. If it's a window 5 feet off the ground it's a different situation entirely.

1.2K Messages

Il y a 3 y

Which is probably why most people just kick the door in.  Why mess with glass when a door is so easy to kick open?  But like others are saying, it's all about layers.  I have an entry sensor on every door and window, glass break in every room, and motion sensors in every room.  If they can get through all that my stuff was just meant to be stolen I guess.

8 Messages

Il y a 3 y

*This would be from curiousGEORGE*

Gentlemen; I have a SS system in the mail so I can check it out up-close-and-personal.

Thanks to those who offered usable feedback.

[60ampfuse] "Want to be my VALENTINE?"   ;)

46 Messages

Il y a 3 y

Set your sensors to "instant trigger" and that issue is solved......can it still occur, possibly but you got a better chance of getting struck by lightening......

32 Messages

Il y a 3 y

If you could remove magnet and sensor as a unit, without ever separating them by more than 2 inches and then taping them together, the alarm would not be tripped. However if they are separated for even a second during the removal process, nothing will prevent the alarm after the countdown delay. Fastening them back together after initial separation will have no effect, any more than closing a door back during countdown after entering. The alarm is still going to sound. also, that adhesive tape holds really tight, and I imagine it would be difficult to keep the magnet and sensor in close proximity to each other when prying them off.

1.2K Messages

Il y a 3 y

Even harder if you used screws and tape and silicone.  A bad guy that smart would bring his own magnet and tape it to the sensor, problem solved.  Now he should have motions to get passed tho so either he moves really slow, which is hard for most crack heads, or he becomes invisible, which is also hard for most crack heads.  :)