jjr5067's profile

Wed, Jun 22, 2022 1:28 PM

WiFi will not reconnect after power outage

I have seen this question asked and there are no acceptable answers. I often get power flashes where I live and almost every time the WiFi will not reconnect. I disable 5 GHZ on my router and it still will not reconnect. The app just stays in a contant loop.  The only way I get it to eventually reconnect is to unplug and remove battery to reboot it. That's fine when I'm home but I am not home half the time. Now what do I do. I may have a bad WiFi card and would like a new base station.

Official Solution

Community Admin

• 

2.9K Messages

Il y a 1 m

Hi @jjr5067 ,

When power comes back, does the Base Station just not reconnect to WiFi indefinitely? I'm thinking that the Base might just be taking a longer time than usual.

Alternately, it might also be an issue with your router's security settings. Have you already tried setting up a Guest WiFi network that only your Base Station (and other SimpliSafe components) are connected to?

2 Messages

@davey_d​ I think it’s a bad wifi card. Even if I try it manually it will not reconnect. The only way is the remove battery and unplug for a hard restart. Is it recommended to connect to a guest network? Is that less secure for someone trying to hack my wifi (yes I do have some neighbors I do not trust) . Thanks

Community Admin

• 

2.9K Messages

It might differ between WiFi routers, but usually the Guest Network is more strict, and therefore technically more secure. But yes, it's a good thing to try.

Though don't worry, SimpliSafe's signals are all encrypted in transit and at rest, so even if that info could somehow be intercepted through your WiFi, a hacker wouldn't be able to do anything with it.