‎Xfinity ARRIS modem and SimpliSafe security system | SimpliSafe Support Home

D

Monday, February 4th, 2019 8:58 PM

Xfinity ARRIS modem and SimpliSafe security system

Are there any know issues setting up SimpliSafe with an Xfinity ARRIS modem/router, model # TG1682G? When I try to connect to the WiFi with the correct password, the error received is password failure. I assume SimpliSafe connects only to the 2.4 Ghz network; however, the SSID is the same for both 2.4 and the 5 GHz network.  I prefer not purchasing a splitter from Xfinity and setting up a separate router. Is anyone else running into this issue or similar ones?

Thanks,

dds

A compatibility issue with some Arris branded WiFi routers has been resolved, as of System Firmware 2.1. Visit this update for details.

764 Messages

5 years ago

I think this post implies a separate router: https://simplisafe.com/forum/customer-support-forum/installing-and-using-simplisafe/connecting-to-wifi

17 Messages

Thanks. There appear to be compatibility issues with some ARRIS modem/router models and the SimpliSafe base station. Have these issues been resolved? Is there any firmware upgrades?  My base station firmware version is 1.2.16 .

27 Messages

5 years ago

I have a an Xfinity ARRIS modem/router TG1682G set up the same way (single SSID for both 2.4 and 5GHZ bands).  No problems connecting Simplisafe base or cameras to WIFI.

17 Messages

Thanks for the response. Can you provide more details regarding your configuration (e.g. base station to router distance/placement, character length of SSID and password, xFi  pods, etc....)?  Are there any known issues with SimpliSafe and SSID or password with character and/or string length? It appears a device emitting a low frequency is causing interference - still need to track down. Instead of " Password Failure," a more detailed error message would be beneficial to track down the root cause (e.g. MAC address). Does SimpliSafe generate any logs from any of the sensors or base station?

130 Messages

5 years ago

@dds005

I have noticed a weird glitch when installing the cameras using an IOS device (I don't know if you have an Iphone or not) Where the IOS device needs to be on the 2.4ghz network prior to installation or the app will read the 5ghz network that the device is connected to and use that instead of the one you choose from the list.

If you are able to connect to a 2.4ghz network on your device, and then restart the installation and see if that works for you.

I'd like to hear back, because I've seen mixed responses to this working or not.

17 Messages

Thanks for the response. I do not have an iPhone but this sounds like a bug. The camera should not even be able to see the 5 GHz network - it can only run on 2.4 GHz. In my case, SSIDs are the same for 5 and 2.4 GHz networks - need to run a WiFi analyzer to distinguish.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

5 years ago

Last discussed:  SSID no more than 13 characters.  PW no longer than 32 characters, and DO NOT use a semi-colon in your password.  (last summer, it was discussed that SS was working on allowing more characters for password but I'm not sure if they have that implemented yet).

Not sure if it matters, but it was also discussed that one should probably allow broadcasting your SSID because it's no more or no less secure than not broadcasting it), unless you have super top secret stuff going on your network :)

6 Messages

I also found you cannot use the \ or " in your password. I also lose my password anytime the WiFi goes down - e.g. upgrade firmware in the AP, reboot AP, etc.  I then have to manually re-enter it. THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN!  Please SimpliSafe FIX THIS and IMPLEMENT the PROPER WiFI standard for LENGTH and CHARACTER SET!!!!  Hire a developer who knows what they are doing if you have to!

1.3K Messages

@saxum

Hmmm...strange. The setup/password for my cameras has not been lost just from rebooting my AP.

17 Messages

5 years ago

coltmaster1:

Thanks for the response; this is fodder for a FAQ.

Re password I ran this by Customer Support and this was the response I received:
"The only special characters found to cause potential issues are colons and semicolons. However, this is specifically isolated to our camera components which rely on QR codes to establish a WiFi connection via setup in the SimpliSafe app. Beyond this, the only other WiFi password restrictions associated with our devices would be the character limit of 32 characters."

However, this does not resolve my WiFi connectivity issue since my password is 25 characters, does not contain a colon or semicolon, and is not isolated to the camera. I have requested they escalate the issue to the dev and/or test team for a definitive answer.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

5 years ago

Well it WAS an issue with using semicolons in the PW for the actual system, (not specific to cameras only), wonder if they fixed that (I doubt it, seem to get different answers depending on how many support people one asks).

A possible workaround is setting up a guest-network, using same SSID but different password, then seeing if you can connect to the guest SSID with it's password.  (it seemed to work for at least one person)

Wish there was an obvious resolution for you - all I can remember from about 3 different users having problems connecting with Xfinity/Arris modems was I think 2 people ended up bridging with another router (one had an extra laying around, the other bought a new Netgear), and a third person never posted back their resolution.  So I guess call SS back, ask for a knowledgeable manager and tell them the Xfinity problem needs a fix, and to troubleshoot with you in the event there IS a fix for you.

6 Messages

5 years ago

I am having the same issues. I had a Cisco modem which worked fine with the camera app. The modem started having issues so Comcast sent me the cheaper model ARRIS and now I cannot connect due to password being incorrect. The pw is correct since it works on all other devices. Comcast suggested I go and exchange my ARRIS for a Cisco. I will try that way. I wonder if there or any other characters that are not allowed in the pw. Too much work for such a simple device.Come on! Get it together!

6 Messages

5 years ago

I can't post because you are saying my comment is SPAM? Then maybe you should return my money for the cameras that I can't install.

1.3K Messages

@cruizin4alivin

? It appears you have managed to post. Did your previous attempt contain profanity or something else that may have triggered some sort of SPAM notice?

Anyway, far as I know having both 5g and 2.4g network even if same SSID does not preclude installation.

6 Messages

5 years ago

I am having the same issues. I had a Cisco modem which worked fine with the camera app. The modem started having issues so Comcast sent me the cheaper model ARRIS and now I cannot connect due to password being incorrect. The pw is correct since it works on all other devices. Comcast suggested I go and exchange my ARRIS for a Cisco. I will try that way. I wonder if there or any other characters that are not allowed in the pw. Too much work for such a simple device.Come on! Get it together!

6 Messages

5 years ago

I am having the same issues. I had a Cisco modem which worked fine with the camera app. The modem started having issues so Comcast sent me the cheaper model ARRIS and now I cannot connect due to password being incorrect. The pw is correct since it works on all other devices. Comcast suggested I go and exchange my ARRIS for a Cisco. I will try that way. I wonder if there or any other characters that are not allowed in the pw. Too much work for such a simple device.Come on! Get it together Simpli Safe.

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

5 years ago

If you ordered it less than 60 days ago, you can call and get a prepaid label to return it for a full refund.

76 Messages

5 years ago

Something is up with XFINITY and SimpliCams. Look at all the other threads related to connection issues. Everybody is on XFINITY. I have this issue. A port forward fixed it. Not sure why.

Camera said it wouldn't connect, but if I looked at the router it was connected.

1.3K Messages

@Tek

Wirelessly connecting to the router and the router firewall letting the camera/SS servers access what they need are two different things.

If the XFINITY router has very restrictive firewall then it could be necessary to open the port. Usually its not desirable to open ports, but depending it may be necessary or last resort. Typically if the firewall has SPI it knows what went out so it usually allows the corresponding return. Not directly familiar with what XFINITY does in their rules though.

But, this is why I like having just a plain old modem for Internet. That way I control all the rules in my own router/firewall.
New to the Community? Get started by reading our Welcome Post.