T

Sun, Oct 25, 2020 4:10 PM

Camera Feedback Noise

Has anyone had an issue with feedback noise on your simplicam?  We get a squealing noise and loud ticking noise constantly while recording or not. Is there a fix for this?

Official Solution

Community Admin

• 

3.1K Messages

Il y a 5 m

Hi all,

A small update on this issue. At this time, our engineering team still investigating. Your feedback helps! We will of course let you know when we have more info.

3 Messages

@davey_d​ I have the constant clicking noise from the indoor camera. It's a new indoor camera in a quite room. It has no electrical devices within 10 ft, the closest electrical device is the router about 12 ft away. Both recording or live monitoring have the same constant clicking noise.

1 Message

Yes we are having the same issue like white noise. 

2 Messages

@davey_d​ I just purchased a SimpliSafe system. I’ve had previous indoor cameras that have two-way audio that never had this issue. I purchased a camera for indoors through simply safe and have moved the camera all over the house and still get the ticking and squealing noise. It’s a brand new camera. I have placed tape over the pinhole as others have had suggested it helps with a squealing sometimes. This is a big issue for your company how come it has not been resolved? I just spent $100 on a camera that’s defective. It makes me wonder if I should’ve went through Ring instead. 

1 Message

@davey_d​ 

I have the same issue of a constant rhythmic chucking sound (chuck chuck) as well as random scratching sounds from a quiet room. As soon as the camera picks up any external noise, it boosts the gain on the camera mic and those internal background sounds get louder.

SS is sending me another camera, but based on what I've read here and on other sites, I don't expect that the situation will be any different. There's something going on in the camera that's finding its way into the mic circuitry and then perhaps amplified by some internal feedback loop.

1 Message

@davey_d​ I’m having the same issue as kenhwang99 with the loud clicking noise. Brand new camera, brand new system. Quiet space, no other electrical nearby; the closest is in another room and on the other side of a brick wall. There is an entry sensor 8-10’ away. 

3 Messages

Il y a 2 y

I noticed the same thing. Only had system a week.

167 Messages

Il y a 2 y

The feedback is usually caused by the devise you're using to view the camera being too close to the camera you're viewing.

2 Messages

@dave_2036​ nope, I’m hundreds of miles away and I’ve got clicking. It’s weird. 

2 Messages

@dave_2036​ nope, I’m hundreds of miles away and the recordings all have clicking. And the lady who watches our cats says she can hear clicking also, which is not good. 

1 Message

Il y a 2 y

I am having the same issue, I'm no where near home and when I watch live feed, it's sounds like clicking and static. Very loud.

45 Messages

Il y a 2 y

I have 2 cameras and it's driving me nuts.  It's like straight from the movie Psycho!  Simplisafe needs to address this problem YESTERDAY!  The screeching is ridiculous and it makes the Simplisafe system seem really cheap and amateurish.

1 Message

Il y a 2 y

I have this as well for a temporary work around I put a a small piece of tape on the little hole between the lens and motion sensor.
I still have sound its just less but it cuts the squealing down to almost nothing.

2 Messages

@rkcorton​ Thanks for that tip. I also have the ticking and squealing I put electrical tape over the little hole, that cut down on the squealing, but the ticking is still there... Just awful...

1 Message

Il y a 2 y

Camera noise is unacceptable. Is there a fix or should I have just thrown the money out the window? Does anyone respond to this forum? Don't see any responses to the previous issues posted about the camera noise? Might be exercising that return policy you list on the promo....

1.3K Messages

Il y a 2 y

I have 3 SS cams in two separate systems with no squealing/feedback.

I suggest either you have a defective camera(s), and you should PHONE SS to inquire about how to proceed, or it's something specifc to your setups because it's not a systemic issue.

And, yeah, SS has had a little more presence on the forum lately but still pretty hit and miss so don't hold your breath waiting. You want help from SS for possible warranty or tech support? Call them.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

Il y a 2 y

@ EvanT unrelated question: how do you like AT&T Fiber? Supposedly coming to our block in the spring. Thanks and Happy New Year.

2 Messages

I just had it installed 2 weeks ago. So far no problems. Admin interface is easy and intuitive. Connection  has been strong. I haven't noticed any outages yet. The price is certainly better than the competition... at least in my area. The installation involved running a line from the pole outside into my house. Took about an hour. It cost me nothing. The technician was great. AT&T provides the router. No dead spots on my property. I had to cross the street and walk about 100 feet away to lose the signal. The first bill was exactly what they quoted. No hidden charges (yet).

2 Messages

Il y a 2 y

Removed. I was mistaken.

1 Message

Il y a 8 m

Just talked to customer service.  Had my indoor camera replaced once because of the clicking issue.  New camera does the same thing.  When watching live or a recording there is a ticking noise, sounds like a bomb timer on an old cartoon.  They told me today that they should not have replaced the original camera because that is normal for it to make noise and there is nothing they can do.  I guess it’s a good thing I got the camera for free.  Clicking cameras is not normal.  

46 Messages

Il y a 8 m

I am having the same issue, it's sounds like clicking and static. Very loud.

3 Messages

Il y a 8 m

We are having the same issue. Have had the system for about a month and constantly hear that ticking static noise. Anyone find a solution?? 

Community Admin

• 

3.1K Messages

This issue doesn't seem to be easy to replicate, so we're not yet sure about the cause. But one theory is that your camera might be picking up on sounds that are normally inaudible to human ears. If you move your camera to a different spot (just temporarily) does the noise stop?

3 Messages

It is an audio feedback loop.    It picks up the 'click' from the camera when it opens the privacy shutter when it starts.    They could fix this by programming the camera to delay recording startup a few seconds after camera activation.   Not rocket science.   C'mon SS.   Fix it.   

The only fix we as customers have is to turn off audio on the camera settings.   That is not acceptable to me, when I need two-way communications.    Again SS, fix it with a software update. 

3 Messages

@davey_d​ 

see the comment I made above please......

Community Admin

• 

3.1K Messages

There's also the possibility that we're all talking about different things. Does this feedback go away for you after a while, or does it stay on the feed?

2 Messages

I have the same issue. I just switched from another system to SS. My previous 2 way audio camera had zero issues with audio let alone this clicking and screeching problem. I’ve move the SS camera all around my home with no resolve. Not super happy I paid $100 for a camera that’s this terrible! Seems like this has been an issue for a long time reading on this forum. The tape over the pin hole helps the banshee screams but really? I have to put tape on my brand new camera? Makes me wonder if I should have went the Ring route instead.  

3 Messages

Il y a 7 m

I tried moving the camera to different rooms, but the squeaking and feedback noise is loud and continuous on live view. I feel like this is a poor quality system. No support for this problem camera. Don’t buy SimpliSafe!

Community Admin

• 

3.1K Messages

@topanga​ thanks for reporting. Does the feedback noise happen only during livestreaming for you? And not when viewing recordings?

1 Message

Hey Dave.  Try reading all of the posts collectively.  There is clearly a problem for all of us. I’ve had my system for over a year now. It’s always has these noises that EVERYONE is describing.  It’s not any of the “potential” phantom problems you suggest. Why do you keep asking questions as if each post is a new mystery? It’s a systemic issue across the product line. Just admit it. I’d have more respect for SimpliSafe if they would just come right out and admit there is an issue you can’t fix. Offer to give people their money back. Stand behind your Chinese junk.

Bottomline, take ownership and stop with the deflecting Q&A crap.  

Community Admin

• 

3.1K Messages

@bzolla4434​ well yeah, that's why I pinned a post right at the top. Our engineers know there's an issue and we are investigating.

But it is not helpful if I just assume that everyone seeing the same symptoms is always having the same problem. Also, we already know that while there are plenty of examples here, the issue doesn't actually affect everyone. If we can arrive at some solution that is able to help just one user at a time, that's great. But at the very least, we can keep gathering clues that our teams can act on.

3 Messages

Il y a 6 m

We hear this obnoxious sound through all cameras while watching cameras live. Unsure about recorded. But it’s not a sound in my home. We’re not physically close to any cameras or interfering in any way. All animals are locked up- there is no noise like this anywhere for the cameras … It’s a constant and SO loud and distracting. How do we get it to stop?!?! Otherwise I’m returning my system- this is ridiculous and extremely frustrating. 

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled CONSTANT video static sound?!?!

Community Admin

• 

3.1K Messages

Hi @rochedanielle36 ,

We've heard of feedback being an issue before (especially if you have your phone close to the camera while you're streaming). Or it could be that the camera is picking up on noise that is normally inaudible to humans.

But just in case it's something else, are you comfortable with sharing a recording here?

6 Messages

I have 3 indoor cameras also and all 3 are making this awful ticking+static noise during live view.  Any solutions to this yet?  I’m going to guess that there’s a design flaw with microphone placement and the privacy shutter mechanism.  You can’t fix a bad physical design with software update.

Community Admin

• 

3.1K Messages

@merlinair  I'll ask the same question that I also asked @rochedanielle36.

A recording would be really helpful for our engineering team to figure out what the noise is.

Also, is it only happening in live view? Or do you hear the same noise from recordings?

Advocate

• 

422 Messages

@davey_d 

Here's a recording from one of my Simplicams set to 1080p with night vision set to OFF. I hear this noise in live view and in the recordings and I've moved the camera from the garage to interior rooms and I always get that noise. Please note that when I have night vision set to ON or AUTO (and it's dark and it's on) the ticking/static gets faster. I can reproduce this 100% of the time.

6 Messages

@davey_d​ the recording submitted by @worthing is the exact sound and problem I have an all 3 cameras.  Night/day/ morning/twilight, etc, etc.  And yes,  it is only during live view because that is all I have.  I do not have the recording subscription.