V

Fri, May 15, 2020 6:40 PM

Quick fix for unreadable QR Codes

I made an upgrade to my home WiFi which meant I had to reconnect my cameras.  I could not get the cameras to read the QR Codes from either of my cell phones (iPhone 8 and and a Galaxy S9.)   My quick solution was to take a screen shot of the QR codes, print them 6" by 6" and then scan them with the cameras.  The cameras read the printed QR codes in seconds and the rest is history.

I wish I had thought of this before wasting so much time trying to get them to read my cell phone!

Official Solution

Community Admin

• 

2.9K Messages

3 m ago

Hi all,

This solution can work for both the Video Doorbell Pro, and the SimpliCam Indoor Camera - both of which connect by scanning a QR code generated by the SimpliSafe app. For more tips on troubleshooting the QR code, check out the Help Center article here.

13 Messages

2 y ago

Thanks for the Tip. I'll spread the word. There's always users somewhere calling in for that same thing.

1 Message

2 y ago

Thanks for this post.  I've been having trouble for weeks w this damn camera. I'm going to try your solution a little later on tonight.

1 Message

2 y ago

You don't even have to print the QR code. I took a picture of the QR code with another mobile phone, enlarged that pic by about 50% and bingo the camera read it first time.

1 Message

2 y ago

I had same problem. I took a snapshot of the code on my iphone. I then opened up the pic and made it larger and it worked.

1 Message

2 y ago

Hope someone has a better idea--I have tried all of the above; camera shot, printing--nothing seems to help--the camera won't read the QR code, and all I was trying to do was change wi-fi.

thanks...

9 Messages

2 y ago

I found that the QR code was almost impossible to read.... until I reduced the brightness of my iPhone.  Now the code is read in about 1 second.  Works every time for me.  (I have 5 cameras).

2 y ago

Making the screen *less bright* (about 50%) did the trick for me. I tried all the other suggestions and none of them worked. So glad I found this thread!

1 Message

2 y ago

I used all the above and none worked. I then held the Code 5/6 inches from camera & Bingo!

1 Message

2 m ago

This solution worked.  I printed the screen shot of just the QR code 6" x 6" and the camera was finally able to scan it.  Thank you!  

I spent nearly an hour and a half before I found this solution.  The Simplisafe customer service closes from midnight to 8 am and the monitoring service is not able to help resolve the issues.  

1 Message

18 d ago

I was also struggling for the last several days getting my replacement doorbell pro to recognize the QR code. When I saw the comment and reducing the brightness to 50% on your phone, I tried that and it worked instantly. Definitely a great solution. 

Community Admin

• 

2.9K Messages

@smittyb486​ glad to hear that this worked for you. Glare on the screen, and other lighting conditions at the location, can make it harder for the camera to see the QR code clearly. That's why we added the brightness slider on the QR code screen, so you can try different levels, which might work.

(edited)