J

Sun, Jan 13, 2019 8:02 PM

Key fob security

We just got the system and installed it including a key fob for my wife. I'm concerned that it seems you can disarm the alarm with the key fob without entering the PIN. So if someone were to steal the fob from her purse they'd have access to our address and could break in and disable the system using the fob alone. This seems like a security risk or am I misunderstanding how the fob works?

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

4年前

@ john.berkenbosch, you got it right and one of the several reasons mine collects dust in a drawer. If you are on interactive plan, your smart phone works much better (securely). If you need it, get a 2nd keypad.

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

4年前

That is exactly how the fob works.  Plus putting it in a purse or pocket leads to "pocket dialing".  

I wear it on a lanyard around my neck.  Almost impossible to lose it or have it stolen, and no worries about unintended button pushes.

Advocate

• 

541 Messages

4年前

We have the new ss3 and i know if ypu lose the fob or it gets stolen you can go on the keypad or the app and delete the fob so its no longer there or will ever work

34 Messages

3年前

The Key Fob is a great idea and very convenient to use. Nonetheless, it could use some improvements:

1. The obvious "too easy to accidentally press a button while in my pocket or purse" issue, needs to be addressed. Maybe simple software re-coding to require a "double-click" should be required to activate any of the buttons? HEY...I may have to patent that idea!

2. A future replacement model might include some type of "cover" or redesign, offering a desired simple, speedy and effective method of both protecting and implementing easy button use, in case of an emergency.

3. I keep reading about this "Panic Button" on the Key Fob...which is a great idea. However, I just purchased a ss3 "Fortress" system and my fob has NO such button. Either it doesn't exist or it's hidden and I'm not looking in the right place!

4. On a slightly different note, "larger" (and thus more expensive) SimpliSafe systems should, as a "simple" courtesy, include 2 Key Fobs to accommodate husband/wife (parent/child, partner/partner, etc.).

Sorry...I couldn't resist!

Joseph R. Seda, Quality Assurance Analyst

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

3年前

Joseph, the SS3 keyfob does include a panic button, it's the thin red button across the very top.  If you ever needed to use it, you'd press and hold it for 2-3 seconds, then release (you would get a call from COPS monitoring, so have safe word handy).

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

3年前

If you have the remote on a lanyard around your neck, it is immune from accidental activation, plus is very difficult to lose or have stolen.

2 Messages

3年前

I don't use mine because if I'm entering my house and someone grabs my keys, they can disarm my system...why not have a numeric keypad on the fob?  And, yes, I don't want it accidentally activated either!

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

3年前

A) cost  B) size C) power requirements

Don't have it on your key ring.  If on a lanyard around your neck, it is safe from accidental activation and loss, and would be much harder to grab away.

3 Messages

2年前

i'd like to use my two keyfobs as alerts in the event either my wife falls and gets hurt, or I fall ill or get injured.  I'd like to station each one strategically in the house so as to be able to access one of them from floor level etc.  any suggestions ot make this a reasonable option to do?  Thanks.

Ken Chisholm

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

2年前

You might want to consider panic buttons instead.  The keyfobs give anyone complete control over your system, so having them easily available to visitors and intruders would seem a bad idea.