T

Fri, Aug 14, 2020 12:34 PM

Respond to concerns about interference?

Hello,
I recently found this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/UlNkQJzw4oA

The video discusses the frequency the sensors use and how widely available devices may interfere with the system leaving pretty significant gaps in security.  Has this issue been addressed by SimpliSafe?

Just wanting to have all the info.  Thanks!
CH

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

Il y a 2 y

This has been discussed to death a while back.  Basically, any wireless system can be overpowered by a stronger signal on the same frequency, and there is no way to prevent it.  SS can detect this attack and notify you.

If you don't like it, spend the time and money to get a wired system.  Which also can be defeated by the way.  

As for how critical this is:

1) the scenario has been tried by actual SS customers. and can defeat the system but not at all reliably (and the people doing it are intimately familiar with their system)  

2) We have not heard of any case where this was actually used to get in.

3) It is unlikely someone competent to use this methodology is interested in YOUR house.

Thus, we don't worry about this.  Just like we didn't worry about the ability to record the SS2 "disarm" signal and rebroadcast it.

Advocate

• 

541 Messages

Il y a 2 y

Yyyeeaaa, i have been through this road about 30 times and i cant do it anymore lol. Not worried about it not one little bit. I tried it myself and i know where ever sensor is and still could not get through my home. Dont advertise who you have.

1 Message

Il y a 2 y

Yea, I removed all of my simplisafe stickers. The only thing that is afforded to SimpliSafe clients is to prevent the crooks from knowing the correct frequency.  

I'm guessing that to make the sensors cheap enough no onboard storage of past events is kept.  That one feature would surely make the SimpliSafe system way more safe.

If I were developing a wireless alarms system with a cheap easily available transceiver I would keep at least the last x number of events stored on the sensors and report them to the base after a interference event.  and have an option where if the interference event lasts too long .. have the system alarm locally, then call it in.  Just my two cents.

BUT I'm guessing that it is what it is.  IF you want a better system ... pay more OR develop your own homebrew.

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

Il y a 2 y

I doubt that many people would buy a system where each sensor costs $100.  And perhaps is the size of a deck of cards.