Q

Fri, Feb 7, 2020 8:48 AM

Separation alarm?

Hi,

Has anyone had experience with separation alarms like Tile, Trackr, hipKey, or InSite? The application I have in mind is preventing someone from accidentally walking off with my stuff that I'm not actively watching. (Think of big workshops where many people have identical-looking equipment, and it's easy to pick up someone else's stuff.) It seems like if I can keep my cell phone on me, and the alarm tells me that my stuff has suddenly started to move away, then I can do something about it.

Naturally, as you can guess, I don't see this alarm as applicable to snatch and run. I'm also skeptical about using something like Trackr to actually track down your bike after someone has stolen it.

Thanks for rep.

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

3 y ago

Depends on the tracking device and how obvious it is.  Assuming that a thief does not know there is a tracker on board ( and removed or disabled) or the signal blocked (deliberately or accidentally), why would it not be useful to track down the bike?  I've heard people claim they have successfully done so.