crownmountain's profile

Mon, Feb 28, 2022 6:25 PM

matter compatibility

Will Simplisafe update products to be matter compatible? Matter Home Automation Protocol.  It would make great sense to do it and end the issues with HomeKit and other integrations.

Official Solution

Community Admin

• 

2.9K Messages

5分前

Hi crownmountain,

We're not able to give info on future release plans. What we can say is that SimpliSafe is an active member of the Connectivity Standards Association (CSA), so we're able to keep close tabs on the development of the Matter standard. If and when that results in added integrations with our products and services, we will let you know.

(edited)

217 Messages

5分前

I'd rather see an open, non-proprietary protocol like MQTT.  

Matter is owned and controlled by megacorps.

But unfortunately we are highly unlikely to see any general-purpose HA protocol integration as it would threaten their business model.

20 Messages

@simplistuckon​ Get your point BUT something would be better than nothing which is where we are now.   And I suspect the chance of Apple doing MQTT having committed to MATTER is slim to none. ahh well.....

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

5分前

@crownmountain What I can tell you is that Simplisafe is a member of the CSA - Connectivity Standards Alliance - and it follows logic they joined for a reason. Hopefully this is an indication that more 3rd party integration (with world leading security in place) with SS in the near future.

Here is a link to the CSA site and SS's membership page.

https://csa-iot.org/members/search/?m_keywords=simplisafe

Advocate

• 

417 Messages

5分前

@davey_d Was Simplisafe a member of the Zigbee Alliance? Or did they join after the ZA was rebranded to the CSA?

20 Messages

@worthing​ Looks to be BLE at 433mhz with possible proprietary additions.   Found this rather informative article.  So no Zigbee or Zwave

Inside Simplisafe Alarm System

Advocate

• 

417 Messages

5分前

It would make great sense to do it and end the issues with HomeKit

The issue being that SimpliSafe still doesn't natively support Homekit? :)  Despite there being a January 2018 interview where Apple Insider talks to the CEO and founder of SimpliSafe, Chad Laurans who states that Homekit is planned for that year? That video can be found here and but here's the transcript of the Homekit specific exchange:

VM: At AppleInsider, we're big fans of HomeKit. So, have you got the system working with HomeKit? What's the news here?

CL: Yeah, we're excited to be adding all sorts of additional integrations with this next-generation system, so this will include integrations with folks like Apple's HomeKit, and we're excited to roll those out. We have a whole suite of them planned for this year as this year rolls along, and are excited to add that among them.

Since then we've heard almost nothing official from SimpliSafe re: Homekit. About 6 months ago Harriet C replied to my question about Homekit integration in the old forums and informed us that, "There are no plans that we're able to share publicly at this point." In fact, if you search for homekit on the support site it only shows one result which has nothing at all to do with smart home integrations. It doesn't even show up in the support article about smart home integrations! There are almost 250 messages on the forums referencing it though. :)

All of this is to say, I advise a (more) cautiously (than) optimistic approach to hoping / waiting for new SimpliSafe integrations and features.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

2分前

Things for MATTER seem to be finally accelerating. Samsung just announced "Smart Things Home Life" to consolidate all of their smart home product/service offerings in one place. My chips are on the line betting Simplisafe, liking it or not, will be in the midst of this industry wide initiative with their own Matter product(s) by the end of this year. In the past SS could afford to ignore other splintered "standards" but Matter appears to be the real thing and if your in the home security industry, you will have to support it.

In my thinking, within reason, if SS's response to an "open format" requires 1. A needed proprietary product to access those open standards (hub hardware, software subscription etc) and 2. A signoff to limit SS's liability, to access 3rd party access, I would be potentially in favor.  Of course, another route would be for SS to partner with enough 3rd party companies offering a wide range of products via Matter that could be limited or approved to the SS eco system. To make that feasible, that range would have to include auto water supply shutoff switches, garage door openers, light socket/switches, thermostat, cameras, locks and more.

Here is the link to the Samsung story:

https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-launches-smartthings-home-life-to-make-the-connected-home-even-easier/

What do you think? What would you like to see Simplisafe pursue?

(edited)

20 Messages

@captain11​ In favor of THREAD and MATTER support on SimpliSafe oh yes!!!  Should make integration very seamless.

2分前

I believe the initial spec of Matter (1.0) does not account for home security systems or cameras. Unfortunately this means we'll have to wait a bit longer for the 2.0 spec.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

@sahilpatel1027​ You appear very knowledgeable of the subject matter (Pun intended).  Can you go into this a bit more and explain the differences between 1.0 and 2.0 and timing? Greatly appreciated if you do. Thanks!

20 Messages