krstrick's profile

Thu, Dec 30, 2021 2:09 AM

Why do the Badges or Avatar seem to follow e-mail and not forum display name?

Doesn't make sense...

Official Solution

Community Admin

• 

2.9K Messages

7分前

Hi folks (particularly @krstrick and @shiherlis),

Wanted to update you on the email notification situation. We discovered the issue in how the notifications are coded, and we're working on getting it fixed ASAP. As I mentioned, the correct behavior is that only your username should have been included in the email.

Because it's going to take a couple of days for our dev team to complete, we have disabled email notifications for now.

You'll still get notifications on the site itself, under the bell icon on the top right. Those notifications are behaving correctly, showing username only.

78 Messages

7分前

On a probably related matter, reply notification e-mails apparently list a "real" name, or at least not the "handle". For example a reply by "shiherlis" generates an e-mail saying that "_______" commented on a post you are following where ______ appears the be a real first or last name and certainly is not shiherlis.

This needs to be fixed pronto.

Community Admin

• 

2.9K Messages

@krstrick Thank you for flagging. I'm working on this right now.

Advocate

• 

635 Messages

@krstrick 

So, are you saying SimpliSafe is including my real name instead of my forum handle in the emails that notify you of a reply (I hope not)?

You can reply here or privately through DM if you prefer, but I would like to know if my real name has been going out to forum members.

Advocate

• 

635 Messages

7分前

Oh my gosh, it does show members real names! I did not notice it in the emails. This mistake is a nightmare! I never use my name online for any account unless required (usually synonymous with credit card info). I have NO social media and use a service to scrub my real name and address data online on an ongoing basis. The revelation is terrible news. Thank you, @krstrick, for letting me and others know. I greatly appreciate your noticing and bringing it to the community's attention! Some may not have said anything at all.

Community Admin

• 

2.9K Messages

@shiherlis I agree, this is extremely concerning. Only your username should be visible to everyone, regardless of whether on the post or in notifications. My team has this issue set as top priority and we'll get it fixed ASAP.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

7分前

Ugh, far too long to get a new forum platform and no one thought to double-check privacy before going live?   Not directed at you, Davey, but someone screwed up, and not in a good way!

And, thanks, krstrick for discovering this, I also would never have known, since I have it set to not subscribe to notifications via the forum.