J

Tue, Jan 14, 2020 5:54 AM

Done with Simplisafe. Ring is so much better.

Done with Simplisafe.    Moving on to Ring.    After three systems and years of monitoring and a few failed sensors I've had it    After waiting 45 minutes to speak with someone I found that without spending $300. per year for monitoring I can't use the App for remote operations!!    Really?  Are you kidding?   I don't want monitoring but do want to control my system remotely. .  

Now the GOOD news.    Just found out Ring has a great looking system that does exactly what Simplisafe does and has much more  reasonable monitoring plans and options.  How about $100 per year instead of $300 per year for monitoring!    And rings monitoring offers many other benefits besides being a third of the price including full extended warranty.  I also found out that if you buy the ring system from Costco you get a free year of monitoring!!    I'll be removing and trashing my simplisafe system and buying Ring.  
 Incidentally, when I called ring today I spoke to someone immediately.   The ring system completely pays for itself in savings over Simplisafes bloated monitoring charges.    Simplisafe has lost it now lost me

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

Il y a 3 y

No, Ring does not do "exactly" what SS does; it does significantly less.  But if it does what you need and causes you less annoyance, then it may be a good choice for you.  If it were me, I'd box up the SS system and store it in case you find even more intolerable problems with Ring, or Amazon boosts their price past the SS price.

11 Messages

Go ahead and go with Ring.  They will sell your personal information taken from the iPhone or Android app and sell it to several third parties like Facebook.  Read some of the recent news articles on Ring and you will change your mind.  Ring employees spying on you via the Ring doorbell!  No thanks, I will stick with Simplisafe.

Il y a 3 y

I also changed over to Ring. Their doorbell is actually wireless, as opposed to the SS doorbell.  I've called 3 times, once because I did something stupid in the app and twice more just to test their wait times. All 3 were answered in less than 3 minutes. That alone was worth it to me.
Now I'm still waiting for a refund from SS. No answers to emails and 30 minute plus wait times on the phone.  No thanks.

171 Messages

Il y a 3 y

Ring is not exactly the same.

Ring does not have glass break sensors.

Ring does not do video visual verification.

Advocate

• 

541 Messages

Il y a 3 y

My nextdoor neighbor has ring alarm and i went over there and checked it out and i swear i cant make this up it looked like a little cheap plastic toy that my little kid would play with pkus he keeps having issues with the keypad, ring does not have video verification and he keeps having issues with the video doorbell, his third one now lol but i will give ring one thing, that freaking siren is extremely loud but thats the only thing. Its got this annoying sound when arming i mean i coukd just keep going. Also ring is owned by Amazon and i can promise you that 10 bucks a month will not last long, they are know for going up, but good luck to ya, ill stick with my simplisafe.

101 Messages

We had a Ring Pro doorbell and it rarely worked It kept going offline and would power down unexpectedly.  Ring blamed it on our wiring (it was a hardwired one.)  We finally got fed up with it and got a Nest Hello doorbell (this was way before we were ever thinking about a SS system).  It has worked perfectly for months. Plus I like the 24/7 recording of it as opposed to the event based recording.  Because we just got the Nest one a few months before getting our SS3, we are not looking to get the SS Doorbell, but at least everything works, unlike that Ring.

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

Il y a 3 y

You will never get a refund if you rely on email.  Your only hope is to call them (first thing in their morning is best), and if you don't get the refund from the person who answers the phone, ask for a supervisor.  And if you talk to them and can't get the refund, dispute the charge with your credit card company.

2 Messages

Il y a 3 y

Are you not worried about all of the security and privacy risks with Ring? Amazon is getting a lot of flack for not considering user privacy when it comes to releasing video footage to help police in investigations or use for their own company (see Dissemination of Your Video Images heading).
If you say: "well, that's fine, it's just the outdoor cameras" you aren't completely right. They need to first find which cameras are outdoor cameras which means there is the potential for plenty of creeping and Big Brother-ing, which is one of the reasons I will most likely never have video feed owned by another company on my property.

171 Messages

Il y a 3 y

I had a Ring Pro installed, and really likes it.

But when, I purchased my new Simplisafe system on Cyber Monday, everything was 50% off.  So, I ordered the Simplisafe video doorbell.  Why?  Because it could add to the video visual verification if I get an Alarm.  And it was on sale, unlikely to see it that price again.

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

Il y a 3 y

Not sure that the doorbell is going to help much in visual verification.  It won't be able to be viewed until the alarm goes off, so at best they will see people running away.  Interior cameras are best for visual verification (and identification)

171 Messages

Il y a 3 y

My doorbell creates a video every time someone comes near the front door and creates motion.  It also creates a video from doorbell push.  Wouldn't these both be available to COPS monitoring if alarm happens right after?

326 Messages

Il y a 3 y

I have had a Ring Pro doorbell for over a year.  It's been ok.  It takes a little longer than I'd like to connect so that I can see who's at the door but overall it's done its job.  And if someone's not willing to wait for me to connect to see them, I didn't want to talk to them anyway.

I thought about getting a Ring alarm but because of the lack of a glass break sensor, I had to go with something else.  I pretty much have a wall of windows on the west side of my house.  I have sensors on all of the easy entry points but need glass break for when someone decides to just smash their way in.  I really really like the smoke alarm/CO listener.  That is far superior to another smoke detector that I have to mount on my ceiling.  It'd be cool to have something to listen to my hardwired system.

I haven't gotten any SS cameras.  It seems like all people do is complain about them.

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

Il y a 3 y

@ride525 I don't think so.  From what I gather, they can only access videos started by an alarm or perhaps watch live while the alarm is sounding.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

Il y a 3 y

@usmaak I know many (and mine too) that have no issues with their Simplcams or doorbell.  You have to take into account SS has millions of customers vs the relatively small number of folks that post here in the forums. Note I am not disputing customers are experiencing issues, only that "all" is not applicable and would use "some".

166 Messages

Il y a 3 y

I have SS for my alarm system, and Ring for my cameras.  The statement "Ring employees spying on you via the Ring doorbell! No thanks, I will stick with Simplisafe." is only true if you give your permission for them to view your cameras, as in troubleshooting.  Both systems have their faults, but after reading all the problems with SS cameras I went with Ring, and they have been flawless for the most part. The one time I had a camera fail they sent me a new one within 3 days.  

My SimpliSafe system is going on 7 years, 5 1/2 years with SS2, and now a year and a half with SS3.  Never have had one problem with either system, and have never had the need to call customer service.  I will say that when I had to call Ring CS they answered with in three rings and solved my problem within 5 minutes.

5 Messages

Il y a 3 y

Thought about this as I am DYING for outdoor cameras and floodlights, but SS refuses to do this.  Overall the doorbell works fine, but sometimes when we get an alarm while away and tap on video we get the no video error but live works.  Then after a minute or two the saved video is fine.  The quality of the doorbell and system has gone up this last year, as I got SS beginning of 2019, but the lack of outdoor cameras is stupid.  Wife and I almost grabbed a ring alarm and replace SS, but SS does do well for what we have just I guess add on ring on the back deck for what we need then see but to be honest, it is sad that "just add on from somebody else" is the option, when mostly SS is good.  I looked at ring very hard and the overall design is fine, but the keypad is not as good as SS.  just wish SS would upgrade the doorbell to fix some issues and put the dang outdoor cameras with lights on them.  Sigh, I guess I will add ring to my house since SS isn't doing it and see how it goes, but not happy SS is dragging their feet and no I don't think it should take them years to make a damn camera with all the customers they make the money, just make it happen.

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

Il y a 3 y

Exterior cameras are not particularly of value in a "security system" which only activate the cameras if triggered by someone getting into the building, in which case the best you can hope for is to see the backs of people running away.  Using the external cameras to trigger the alarm is a way to get a lot of false alarms.

Not to say that exterior cameras are not useful; they are important.  Best are wired, DVR based systems so that anything which happened outside is recorded.