R

Sun, Feb 9, 2020 3:41 AM

Key Fob is Horrible.

When I first saw the key fob I knew it was going to be problems.  I was correct and it is to the point of being mostly unusable.  All the buttons are EASILY pushed.  In other words you just stick the key fob with your keys in your pocket and suddenly your system is armed or dispatch is calling you because you pressed the panic button by putting the keys in your pocket.  Horrible and useless design.  I wish I had not bought them.  The only thing they are good for is to arm the system without going to the keypad.  Other than that you CANNOT carry it around with you in your pocket or purse.  It is NOT trustworthy or functional.  I will be seeing if I can get a refund for one of these useless devices. My other one I will keep.

Advocate

• 

541 Messages

3年前

Thats strange as i have one and i have it attached to my keys as well and always put them in my pocket and i have never set it off with panic or turned it on or off by pushing buttons accidentally. I actually love the keyfob so not sure how you are having so many problems with it.

166 Messages

3年前

I just had a false alarm this morning triggered by my Key FOB and got a call from COPS.  I have my Home and Away buttons covered by shrink tubing.  Just finished another Mod where I covered the Home and Away buttons with a piece of hard plastic, then covered that with shrink tubing. That should prevent any further accidental activation's.

About a year ago I accidentally triggered the Panic Alarm as we were leaving to go to the store, without my knowledge.  We had all ready left the house and were driving to the store. I gave COPS my Safe word and told them it was a mistake.  They then asked to speak with my wife to make sure she was OK and not being assaulted!  COPS then told me that the police were on the way as they are immediately dispatched when they receive a Panic Alarm.  I told them to cancel the police response, which they did.  Then I got worried that if the police showed up at my door and no one answered that they would break down the door to verify everything was OK inside the house.  We turned around and went back home.  After an hour with no police response we left again to go shopping.

I only use the Off button on the Key Fob, and yes, the other two are too easily activated due to a very poor design.

32 Messages

Route 66 Guy, Have had same problem as my wife carries with keys in purse. Found this online and works great. (Case Logic JDS-2 USB Drive Shuttle 2-Capacity (Black/Blue)  Well..that was supposed to be a link to Amazon. It was only a couple dollars and when I saw it I ordered me one to. I slip the keyfob in so that only the OFF button is exposed and the others are covered by the clear plastic. You just have to press harder to arm and won't have to mod anything. Stays together with velcro.

Captain

• 

4.6K Messages

2年前

@radiojoe great post with very good information. Only wish there was a way to bookmark in the forums.

32 Messages

Captain 11, I  agree and would support it if I could find the secret business model SS uses. Welcome back as I was just looking at another thread about pizza and beer. Always good to read your comments.

1 Message

2年前

@rickcf  I completely agree.  The fob has a serious design flaw in that all of the buttons are exposed.  I keep the fob on my keyring, and keep my keyring in my pants pocket together with other miscellaneous items (change, a pen, etc.).  I'm constantly turning the alarm on, off, and to home, just by sitting down.  While rarer, I've also set off the panic alarm.

Simplisafe, can you provide a cover for the buttons, or a redesigned fob?  Meanwhile, I'll try the Case Logic solution @radiojoe mentioned: https://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-JDS-2-Shuttle-2-Capacity/dp/B0009Y7APU

326 Messages

2年前

I bought one and when I got a good look at it, I ended up just throwing it in a drawer.  It sounds like I made a good choice.

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

2年前

I carry mine on a lanyard around my neck.  No accidental activations, impossible to lose, difficult to steal.

1.2K Messages

2年前

"I carry mine on a lanyard around my neck. No accidental activations, impossible to lose, difficult to steal."

I like that, spoken like a real man!

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

2年前

I hope so; I've been one for several years now.  :-)

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

2年前

^ Priceless :)

2 Messages

2年前

I have also activated the panic button twice with the new fob. Never had a problem with the old one. I wish that they had installed a cover or some type of safety switch on it. I like the idea of shrink tubing over the home and away buttons as well.

8 Messages

2年前

They need to provide a key fob with a rocker on/off switch.   It can be an extra purchase and not the default one.

I have triggered mine multiple times, both panic and off, and on.

I even went on vacation once thinking the alarm was on, but it was off.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

2年前

^ That's actually a good idea, having to flip a rocker with some pressure would solve a ton of problems.

I used the heck out of the keyfob for SS2 at the time, but now with SS3, I never use it, and now I can't even remember where I hid it :)