L

Fri, Feb 9, 2018 11:04 PM

Natural gas sensor

I am trying to see if there is any others interested in a new ssensor. I live in an older peer and beam house with natural gas. I would like a sensor that would integrate into my existing simplisafe system that would alarm in case of a gas leak. In the event of a gas leak, the alarm could wake you at night or notify you in the day. This could save life and property. Anybody else have natural gas and like to see this product?

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

5 y ago

It would be great in my motorhome, which uses propane

1 Message

Yes!

708 Messages

4 y ago

I am not an engineer nor did I stay at any hotel last night to make me any smarter.  I am not suggesting a gas alarm isn't a good idea, I am just curious if it would require some significant engineering work to the actual sensor and the existing SS sensors, base station, etc.  Hoping the sensor detects the gas before it gets to an explosive level, but what happens if the gas level in the area of the sensor is "relatively" low, yet the alarm or base station is in an area with high concentration.  I would be afraid the activation of a component could result in an explosion unless all components were designed to work in the "hazardous" environment.  Like I said, not an engineer.  Nor do I play one at work!

1 Message

@general_kaos​ They already have a carbon monoxide sensor integrated into the system...and there are plenty of combined carbon monoxide/Natural Gas/Propane sensors available (Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon etc) for $20-$30.  This would not be a very complicated development effort for SimpliSafe.  

216 Messages

4 y ago

Natural Gas, Propane, and methane (no jokes!) are all gasses that can build up in a home.

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

4 y ago

And there are many, many models which will detect them.  They are the law (I think) in any RV which has propane, and I know they have household ones and that they for sure detect methane (don't ask me how I know that).

It would be a matter of mating existing detector technology with the SS wireless interface.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

4 y ago

Sorry, but SS can't even get their CO2 detectors built/functioning properly, I'm not sure I'd trust them with a multiple-gas sensor :(

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

4 y ago

The SS2 CO sensors seem solid, so they have the capability.  Probably a manufacturing problem with the SS3

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

4 y ago

But, twice in a year?  Doesn't take 6 months to get new shipments in from China (the latest excuse of being out-of-stock).

2 Messages

3 y ago

I'd like a propane gas detector because we live in the country and natural gas is not available. Since this topic has been active on the SS boards for at least 5 years now, SS knows there's a market for it and interest has been fueled (pardon the pun) by seeing houses explode on the evening news. . .
If SS made a propane detector that worked well, I'd buy more than one because we have multiple buildings that have gas heaters in them.
If SS does not want to make an explosive gas detector, maybe they could simply 'detune' a glass break sensor so it could 'hear' the high pitched beeps of a gas detector that another company makes. While not a great solution, it might work for other types of alarms people already have in their house but cannot incorporate into the SS system because SS doesn't make that particular detector/sensor.
Thanks all.

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

3 y ago

SS has not shown great enthusiasm for allowing any other products to work with their systems...  Even more useful than sensing other companies alerts would be a module to control other companies devices (lights, louder sirens, strobes, etc) and there has been nothing on that front either.

216 Messages

3 y ago

What KIND of natural gas?  And would I even be able to live in my own home after installation?

1 Message

6 m ago

I’m ready to buy at least 3.