J

Tue, Nov 17, 2020 10:04 PM

Out door camera

I would like to add a camera outside, I see there is an outdoor kit but very little information on it.  It says to be with int 25 ft of a power source and in WiFi range.  But how well does it work? does there need to have more lighting? Do street lights affect it? How far away does it pick up human movement? When does it record? OR is there a compatible true outdoor camera that can be used?

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

2 y ago

@ jessupg, the camera is the Simplicam, designed for indoor use that can be fitted with a weatherproof skin. My advice: save your money and wait for SS to release the outdoor cameras that are now under development.

2 Messages

Thank you I will wait.

2 Messages

2 y ago

Just moved to SS and bought two (2) camera w/ outdoor kits. I'm in MN and after putting them both in "outdoorish" areas where there is no snow/rain but also no heat/insulation, there is zero motion detection capability and the cameras are useless from what I can tell so far.

I see comments stating SS is working on outdoor cameras. Is this confirmed and if so, where? I'd like to know as this is a deal breaker for me and the "outdoor kit" is quite deceptive IMO considering the lack of documentation on outdoor support.

1.3K Messages

Are the cameras "watching" through windows/glass, by chance?

Generally speaking, motion detection of the IR type used on these cameras and commonly on others too, works poorly if at all though glass.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

2 y ago

^ they've been "working on" the outdoor camera for 2 years.  We will never know when it will be released until they tell us, or, when a user sees the first article SS writes to a tech site promoting it's features, and the user posts the article on the forum.  Beta-testers may know about it sooner, obviously, but they're "sworn" to secrecy as you probably know.