M

Wed, Mar 18, 2020 2:59 PM

Poor customer service and afraid now to use system.

I have been a customer for five years and have been satisfied with service and system until now. Saturday morning at 2:30 am I was waken up with phone and smoke alarm going off. I pressed test button and smoke alarm quit and I could not see or smell any smoke so I told monitor system to ignore. After ten minutes it started all over again and did it twice more. Monitor service put me throgh to customer service which was a recording to call  back at regular business hours. I guess they don't know the company business hours. I called customer service when they opened and they could not tell me why the smoke alarm was giving false alarms. They took it off my system. I had to go out and buy two hard wired smoke alarms and install in y house. Now I have smoke alarm from SimpliSafe I can't use. Two days later I get another base station in mail. I opened it up and had no instructions included so I hooked it up and it didn't't work. Called customer service and got a girl that was hard to understand and was real short with me and had an attitude. She finally got it working. I asked her why I got another base station and she said how should she know. Maybe it was not communicating. After hanging up with her I tried to log in on my computer and it would not take my pin number so I had to call back to customer service and get that fixed. When SimpliSafe first started they had the best customer service who were friendly and helpful. Now they are like robots reading off a piece of paper. I no longer feel safe with my system so I will probably drop the monitor service and go with someone else. Last night I got an alert for sensor not communicating and it is not even a sensor on my system.

1.2K Messages

2 y ago

I used to work with a guy who had a previous job building smoke detectors and he said they need to be regularly cleaned.  A can of compressed air can do the trick.  It's also possible you have a faulty detector.  5 years is not a bad run with anything electronic these days so you might consider just replacing it.

217 Messages

2 y ago

Have you been cleaning the smoke detectors monthly as instructed in the manual?  If you don't, they will apparently begin to false-alarm.  Usually after much-less than five years.

Long-time users on here say that cleaning them every couple of months with a few gentle blasts of compressed air will do the job.

BTW it's only the newer, "modern" smoke detectors (like Simplisafe's) that need to be cleaned.  They use an optical sensor instead of the ionizing sensor of older models.  The government red tape and associated costs of getting Americium for the ionizing sensors has pushed most manufacturers into the less-reliable optical sensors.

217 Messages

2 y ago

The base station was likely sent to you because you old base station only has a 2G cellular connection.  2G is going away within a year or two depending on where you live, so they are updating base stations for customers with active monitoring.