captain11's profile
Captain

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

Fri, Jul 17, 2020 3:20 PM

The Good, Bad and Ugly of Simplisafe

The short reply I give these days to those that ask me about getting Simplisafe: Yes, great product, great price but you will experience their growing pains.

The "acid test" for any company is if a long time customer will say "yes" if asked if they would buy their product or service again.  After 8 years and two systems (and over 27 recommended systems placed) my answer is still a yes, but "qualified".  That's the sad part about it. Simplisafe has enjoyed years of great success, yet, at times are almost a victim of it, as is there customers.

Customer support has always been their vulnerable spot, but they made up with it with an emphasis of doing right for the customer. Now, in 2020, phone wait times appear to be inching up and dropped calls way too often, even outside the historical holiday season.  Another sore point, shipping delays, are still there too, as evidenced with my receipt of a SS email declaring on Wednesday of this week "Your order has shipped!" only to find out its still sitting on their dock days later.

Don't get me wrong,  I still despise ADT and Simplisafe, in my opinion and experience, is light years better, but the shortfalls in customer service still worries me.  SS's new call center in Virginia shows they are still investing, but not growing resources fast enough to meet their spectacular sales growth.

I do hope the senior leadership team is aware of the gaps, and take immediate steps to address them.

To all, be safe out there in these crazy times, and best to all SS associates and their families.  Thank you for protecting my family and property!

326 Messages

2 y ago

If they could keep their system from hanging up on people, 90% of the complaints about their customer service would vanish overnight.  Yes, waiting on hold for 30 minutes to talk to someone sucks, but waiting on hold for 30 minutes to talk to someone and then getting disconnected and having to start all over again is so much worse.

I don't know about growing pains.  This company has been around in some form since 2006.  14 years is more than enough time to iron out any problems.  If you look around at ratings for the company, there are a lot of awful reviews and most of that has to do with their customer service.  Not to simplify that which I don't necessarily understand, but it can't be that difficult to provide quality customer service that doesn't involve someone having to dedicate hours of their time just to talk to someone.  I've had to call support for many companies over the years and I have never seen anything like this before.  SS locks customers in by selling them systems that are just expensive enough that the majority isn't going to just scrap it and start over again when they realize that there is no customer service.  Whether it is true or not, the fact that they will not fix their support issues speaks volumes to how little they actually care about their customers.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

We both agree improvement is needed, but I will stick to my position sales growth and the time lag in support investment is the root issue. Would love to see the graph of number of subscribers, sale $ and number of transactions over time, with # of support reps over same time period.   Like many other companies, SS is sales line prioritized with back office operations left cleaning up the consequences. Bottom line, as cited in my original post, a growing problem that SS needs to address sooner than later.

1 Message

Yes usmaak!  I couldn't agree more.  Customer Support "hung up" on me three times yesterday, each time after a wait time of around 20 minutes.  I couldn't believe it, but apparently it happens a lot.  I tried leaving an email explaining this, and asked someone to call me.  No call yet, and no response to the email.  And all I want to do is sign up to pay them money every month.  You'd think they'd be more interested in that...

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

2 y ago

Wonder where Mr iRobot is.  Haven't heard one peep.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

2 y ago

@coltmaster1  busy herding cats to ride on his old Roombas? :-)  Having the CEO put something out there are on the wild wild internet saying how they are addressing issues would be nice.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

2 y ago

LOL, maybe!

I thought with his taking over, customers might see obvious improvement in some areas.  (I know Covid didn't help early this year, but there was plenty of time before, and now during, to address things, like the phone problems, and shipping problems).

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

2 y ago

@coltmaster1 I ordered close to $300 in SS3 sensors to add onto my daughter's SS3 system as a house warming present. Got the "hey, it shipped" on Wednesday and it was still sitting on their dock on Friday morning. I called to complain, got email from SS that it was upgraded and shipped for Monday delivery. Yep, they got issues but I think they still have customers at heart. That aside, I am hoping the new customer call center in VA will help turn things around.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

2 y ago

Ok, but why did your order have to be "upgraded"?   This has been going on for a couple years now, do they think customers won't notice their shipments don't go out for days, sometimes weeks?  They've had 2 years or more to address the shipping problems.  With growth, comes innovation, get a central location warehouse/distribution, that would solve a lot of problems.

I know, some of us keep hanging in there.  For me, I haven't a clue why :)

1 Message

2 y ago

If you have Hurricane Impact Windows and Doors DO NOT PURCHASE THE GLASS BREAK SENSOR.  We bought 3 of them and later discovered they can not identify glass breakage from hurricane impact windows and doors.  One of their competitors has a lawsuit against them from a break-in in which the glass sensors did not activate when the hurricane impact windows glass was broken.