D

Wed, Jan 1, 2020 4:59 PM

Bamboozled

I purchased the 7 piece homestead system plus an extra motion sensor for a total of $251.94 (after a 20% AARP discount) a few months ago.  To my surprise and dismay, I find that my local Costco is selling an 11 piece system for $139.99 (after $100 off, but $239.99 is still cheaper than what I paid with more items included).  I called SimpliSafe because I needed more entry sensors and a panic button, at which time I told them I saw their product at Costco for much cheaper.   The representative offered no consolation at all, and charged me full price on the additional items I needed, another $89.00.  I'm really disappointed, and feel I have been completely bamboozled by the company.  It really hurt my budget to pay what I paid initially, and to think I could have saved over $100 makes me sick.  A good business move would have been to offer me the extra entry sensors for free or at a discount.  Buyer beware.

21 Messages

3 y ago

I have never found any value in AARP discounts.

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

3 y ago

No,  you were not bamboozled.  And SS is not at fault.  Whenever you buy anything, it is up to you to shop as extensively as you wish, and the odds that someday you will find something better for the same or lower price or the same for lower price is very high.  This is known as "real life".

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

3 y ago

SS never, ever, ever, gives discounts on individual components (other than the occasional "free" simplicam with a new system purchase, or, when you buy a system with extra components with a total percentage off sale).  While I agree that they should consider "price matching" if one of their partners is having a sale at the same date, even if they could, the sale dates between Costco and SS at the time of your purchase weren't the same.

And yes, Costco is one of their retailer partners, along with Walmart, Target, Best Buy, QVC, Sams Club, Amazon and Woot (as much as they've revealed anyway)