R

Thu, Mar 1, 2018 6:50 AM

Base Station no longer 'SmashSafe'? (removed from website)

I noticed the 'SmashSafe' description changed on your website this month.

http://web.archive.org/web/20180210023121/http://simplisafe.com/
'An intruder can damage the keypad or Base Station. Doesn't matter.'

http://simplisafe.com today:
'An intruder can damage the keypad. Doesn't matter.'

Why did this change? Is the Base Station no longer considered 'SmashSafe'?

43 Messages

4 y ago

I think it's because the Base Station is not capable of sending a signal out that it is being destroyed.  If a sensor is not tripped, then the Base Station in vulnerable to being destroyed.  But this is true with ANY alarm system.

However, when a sensor is triggered the Base Station immediately sends a signal (which can be viewed on your log).  If the disarm code is not received at the dispatch center, then your contact is called.  That's what the SS Rep told me two days ago.

Even with a 30 second delay, or ANY delay period, after a sensor is triggered destroying the Base Station will be useless because the dispatch center already knows that the event has occurred.  

"Destroying the keypad will have no effect..."  True
"Destroying the Base Station will have no effect"....True, unless the Base Station is destroyed before a sensor has been triggered.  That's probably why the change was made, I think.

1.2K Messages

4 y ago

This feature might not be available yet.  2 members said they tested this theory (with a virtual smash) and did not get the call from cops.  The tech is there for this to work though so I fully expect it to be implemented at some point if its not.  I have not personally tested this yet.

43 Messages

4 y ago

You can see on your log that once a sensor is triggered it is logged.  The dispatch center has the data.  The base station doesn't send another signal once the delay period expires with no disarm code.

When a sensor set to "instant trigger" is tripped, a signal is sent in the same way.  However, the dispatch center does NOT act on it until the delay period (a minimum of 30 seconds) expires without a disarm code.  So ALL censors, including instant trigger ones, have the entry sensor delay.

So it's not a hardware issue.  It's just a procedural issue with the dispatch center.  This is how it was explained to me three days ago.

I don't believe everything that I read on the internet.  There's all kinds of bad data out there.  You can call the SS customer service line yourself and verify what I've said here.

I made two calls Monday in the middle of the day and I didn't wait longer than 15 SECONDS.  So call them yourself.

1.2K Messages

4 y ago

I understand the way its suppose to work and agree with out 100%.  What Im saying is a couple people on the forum claim to have tested it and did not get a call back.  What they did was trigger the 30 second countdown and then quickly removed power and batteries from the base.  Cops did not call them to verify the alarm nor did they get text alert.  Again, this came from this forum.  If I get around to it I'll test the smash n grab theory myself.  But my guess is, like you said, the server end needs to be fully implemented for this to work.

40 Messages

4 y ago

I'm looking forward to more testing. Those first tests were disconcerting.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

4 y ago

You need to know that if the reps aren't tech (or even one of their "engineers"), they are telling you only what someone else told them.

We've been asking simplisafe for over a month, here and in phone calls to those "supposedly" trained to know this, but don't.  Until there is an official answer from simplisafe, and an explanation to why the two testers received conflicting results, then none of us know anything.

You can take a rep's word for it, or you can wait for an official answer -  which obviously is not going to be forthcoming, just like the firmware updates, both of which simplisafe is aware of but fail to communicate properly with their customers.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

4 y ago

Worst case scenario, if the base is destroyed, no signal. Wasn't concerned with SS2, not going to lose sleep with SS3. Best case they get the system to work as first announced, entry logged, signal sent; no pin disarm, disptach.

1.2K Messages

4 y ago

Ok, so got around to testing this tonight and it appears the smash proof tech is not fully activated.  But like Cap said it wasnt a worry with SS2 so its not a worry for me now and I fully expect it to support it eventually.

I also verified that if you destroy the base while the alarm is already blaring the extra sirens will continue to blare.  I had to bring the base back online and disarm via keypad before I could shut them up.

COPS is calling fast tonight, they verified test mode and called during my false alarm.  Asked for the super secret password and everything.

43 Messages

I'm not clear--what happened after you destroyed the base station with the sensor triggered.  Did COPS call you?  You say that they called during your false alarm.  Was the false alarm the one where you destroyed the base station or did you do another false alarm test with the base station working?

If they called after you destroyed the base station then SimpliSafe is "crash and smash" proof.  Also, what did your log say after you destroyed the base station?  Was the log the same with the base station working?  Does the base station send another signal AFTER the delay period expires?

1.2K Messages

4 y ago

Also keep in mind that once the timed entry delay begins the cameras are recording.  They can smash the base all they want but theyre being recorded while doing it.

Advocate

• 

2.8K Messages

4 y ago

So, what is acceptable, beyond 50 days now since release of product, that simplisafe "has not activated" their so called smash-safe protection?

And sirens cannot be disabled because they require reconnecting to wi-fi?  What about just removing their batteries?

Advocate

• 

2.2K Messages

4 y ago

I suspect that if the base is "destroyed" during the entry delay, that it's siren won't sound, and neither will any external siren.

1.2K Messages

4 y ago

Sorry, I ran 3 tests, let me clear this up.

Test 1, I put the system in test mode and got a call instantly from COPS.  I then realized I couldnt set the alarm off while in test mode so I cancelled test mode.

Test 2, instant triggered the alarm while set to away mode and set off the siren.  5 Seconds later I disabled the base by removing power and batteries.  The base obviously shut up and the keypads became unresponsive of course.  The extra sirens however kept blasting while COPs was calling us on the phone.  We told them it was a test alarm.  I had actually meant to disable the alarm fast enough that they would not call, but forgot that without the base I couldnt shut the system off fast enough.  I had to power it back on to disable.  

Test 3, opened the front door while in away mode.  Countdown started.  5 seconds later I disabled the base.  The keypads and siren kept beeping during the countdown but after the countdown nothing happened.  No text alert, no call from COPs.  I suppose it's possible that COPS didnt call me because they had called twice 2 minutes prior and we told them we were testing.  Thats a possiblity, the log does show "Entry Delay Triggered" so they know that the alarm was in countdown mode.  Also when the base got powered back on the alarm system defaulted to AWAY mode which is what I had it set to prior.  So after a complete power failure it will resume its alarm mode.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

4 y ago

@dp, you made me laugh with test 2 (that's how it sometimes goes with me).  Appreciate the effort but will just continue to hide the base, no lights no sound, and wait for SS to provide details on "Smash Guard".  No doubt I will be waiting for quite awhile.

1.2K Messages

4 y ago

Well, I do have blonde hair lol!

But Im with you, I don't worry about smash n grab.  We keep our base station out in the open because the light is a nice reminder of whether or not the system is on and we like to hear the voice prompts.  I only ran these tests for the benefit of others on the forum.

43 Messages

4 y ago

well then we don't know if they got the signal in test 3.  Your test is inconclusive.