M

Wed, Jan 8, 2020 3:42 PM

New Cameras Coming?

I search Google for the news on the mythical SimpliSafe outdoor camera on a weekly basis. I've also been looking for an updated indoor SimpliCam. I noticed that Best Buy does not have any of the SimpliCam available in store in a 250 mile radius of me (still available for shipping though). I don't know if they had a big sale last week, or if it's a sign that a new indoor camera is on the way. My one hope is when/if the indoor camera is updated, that it retains the privacy shutter.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

3 y ago

@ms43482 possibly. If you do a google site search on the forums, you will see posts about a FCC filing on a 1080 camera, separate from the video doorbell.  Wouldn't be surprised with the Simplicam selling at 50% off at Best Buy that SS releases an updated camera.  Unless it has some great new feature, like zoom and better night vision, I doubt I will upgrade.

12 Messages

I don't anticipate upgrading my existing indoor cameras, but would likely add a camera to another area of my house IF it retains the privacy shutter. Without the privacy shutter, I won't add to my interior cameras. I really hope to see an affordable outdoor camera soon. The camera market is flooded. I've tested the Wyze indoor cameras (which many people have great luck using outdoors with an outdoor housing) and was pleasantly surprised with how well they performed. Wyze is coming out with an outdoor camera, but I'd really like to wait for SimpliSafe.

326 Messages

3 y ago

Every Best Buy that I've been to have almost nothing left from SS after the holidays.  It looks like they'll be restocking in the next few weeks.

12 Messages

There have been a lot of sales lately. Even Lowe's right now is selling a basic $199.99 starter kit (that includes the SimpliCam) currently at a sale price of $139.99. I'm curious to see if it's just SimpliSafe backed sales as competition from other DIY systems is increasing, or if it's a sign that packages with the SimpliCam are being discontinued as a new model is coming.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

3 y ago

@ms43482 SS did show off some prototypes at their "small home" at CES 2018 and, if I remember correctly, the outdoor cameras are the only thing left on their previously announced product road map. That said, given the abrupt and surprise announcement of the doorlock release, my money would be on a spring release. Of course, I could as easily predict an alien invasion from Pluto with the same level of accuracy. :-)

12 Messages

Yeah I remember the prototype from the "small home". I would love to see whatever they come out with have the ability to connect a solar panel. Have you tried the doorlock yet?

326 Messages

Captain, do you remember if they were battery powered cameras?

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

3 y ago

@usmaak, great question. See link below and go to approximate time at 10:40.  They show two cameras, and Chad says battery powered, with motion on lights. Hope they add zoom, good night vision and an option to connect to AC.  My idea of climbing a ladder to go to the roof line to change batteries is not my definition of a good time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CghZzKLocY

@ms43482, for me, and my experience, the lock is a winner. Great design and works well. Note some have reported issues but mine is fine. Also, if you get it and install, suggest a large 3M commend strip on top be added to keep firmly in place. Great design.

Also note you have to keep your existing deadbolt on the outside. If you have questions, call SS before buying to avoid any surprises.

12 Messages

How is the battery life? The battery life on my SimpliSafe pin pad has been awful, so I'm curious about the door lock.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

3 y ago

@ ms43482  what do you mean by "Simplisafe pin pad"? The keypad? If so, mine have gone for about 10 months with no issue. Do you have battery saver mode on?

The lock was installed first week it was released and so far, so good.

12 Messages

Yes sorry I meant the keypad. I have two installed. One is worse than the other in terms of battery life. I probably get 5 months or so. I'll have to check for the battery saver mode. Also thanks for the input on the lock!

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

3 y ago

@ms43482 I recommended a SS3 to my neighbor and one of his keypads was about 3 - 4 months, even on battery saver. He contacted SS and they replaced it at nc under the three year warranty.  No issues since then and going about 8 months.  I would try it and still having issues, contact SS.

Just checked the new Help Center, check this link. SS reports keypad batteries should last 6-8 months!

https://support.simplisafe.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029801311-How-long-do-the-batteries-last-What-batteries-do-my-sensors-require-