worthing's profile
Advocate

Advocate

• 

417 Messages

Thu, Jul 8, 2021 4:48 PM

Outdoor Camera Status Update?

Can someone from SS please provide some kind of real update on the status of an outdoor camera option? There have been numerous posts here and on reddit complaining about the lack of a real outdoor camera option for well over a year if not two years.

The last update from anyone at SS I can find on the topic is from this post from July 29th, 2020 asking the same question I'm asking here:

https://simplisafe.com/forum/customer-support-forum/getting-simplisafe/outdoor-camera

The first reply from SS was the very next day:

On July 30th, 2020 Johnny M. says:
Hi all,

We know it's been a long while since we've had news about it. But we are indeed still working on a dedicated outdoor camera. We can't say much more, not even about features or release date. But soon!

Johnny M.
SimpliSafe Home Security

The latest reply in that thread from SS is from April of this year, ~9 months later with basically the same update:

On April 19th, 2021 Johnny M. says:
@jcornale

We totally understand where you're coming from. Our outdoor cam has been very long in the making, and we're just as eager to see it FINALLY out in the wild.

And yep, there's plenty of other very compelling offerings from other companies that we've been keeping an eye on, too. On top of a host of fantastic new features, our camera development has been focused on what makes SimpliSafe a great choice in the first place, like tight integration with a complete home security solution. The other big priority is ironclad security and strong privacy protections.

Again, we hear you. I really think we've got something special on the way, and can't want for you to see it.

- Johnny M.
SimpliSafe Home Security

I don't think anyone, including you all, would agree that "soon" = "more than a year". Can you tell us if it's going to be 2021 at least? Or that there's still a serious, properly staffed and funded effort to produce the product? C'mon SS, throw us a bone here.

27 Messages

1年前

I am new to SimpliSafe and have three indoor cameras which work well.

Rather than wait for SimpliSafe to bring an outdoor camera to market and because I do not like their video doorbell, I decided that it is better to not have all the security eggs in one basket and we are going to install Ring cameras to cover the outside of the property.

It's only $3.99 for one camera or $100 a year for a bunch of cameras. You might want to consider it as an alternative.

Advocate

• 

417 Messages

Rather than wait for SimpliSafe to bring an outdoor camera to market and because I do not like their video doorbell, I decided that it is better to not have all the security eggs in one basket and we are going to install Ring cameras to cover the outside of the property.

It's only $3.99 for one camera or $100 a year for a bunch of cameras. You might want to consider it as an alternative.

I'm well aware there are many other options out there but I (and many others) strongly prefer a single interface/service that has everything tightly integrated. I really don't want to go to a 3rd party for this functionality if I don't have to but I also don't want to go without this functionality for forever either.

Community Admin

• 

2.9K Messages

1年前

Hi Worthing,

Unfortunately we can't get any more specific with the updates just yet. I know, it's been a very long time since we first announced the outdoor cam. We're still hard at work on it.
When there's more news, I promise you'll hear it from me, right in this forum.

- Johnny M.
SimpliSafe Home Security

Advocate

• 

417 Messages

@JohnnyM

First, I genuinely appreciate that you responded so quickly.

Unfortunately we can't get any more specific with the updates just yet. I know, it's been a very long time since we first announced the outdoor cam. We're still hard at work on it. When there's more news, I promise you'll hear it from me, right in this forum.

Second, please don't take this personally but this response is of little to no value to us. It's great that you're still working on it but you've been working on it since January of 2018 according to the official SS blog as well as numerous tech news sites. That's 3.5+ years to get a product out the door that some of your competitors were offering even before your announcement.

Honestly, my main concern at this point isn't that the camera won't show up at some point - I genuinely believe there will eventually be an outdoor camera offering. My concern is that after 3.5+ years the product you all release is going to be underwhelming compared to what other systems already offer and have been offering for some time. I truly want to be wow'ed by whatever y'all are working on but honestly it's hard to even be cautiously optimistic at this point.

Please note, I will happily "eat crow" on these forums if my concerns are unfounded and you all release an amazing product soon-ish. :)