T

Thu, Sep 23, 2021 3:52 PM

Such a simple question, and no response from SimpliSafe

I sent this question on the simplisafe.com/contact-us form and after several days, no response, never got any acknowledgement much less an answer.  So let me try the forum.

My question:  Is the purchase of a single SimpliCam plus buying the $4.99/month camera monitoring plan a complete viable system that will alert me when the SimpliCam senses movement and it will automatically store a clip of what triggered it?  I do understand you rely on my home wi-fi plus my downloading your SimpliSafe app. But do I need to buy a "base station" or anything more?  All I want is the camera and an alert to my iPhone that the camera detected motion and can then view a saved clip of the detected movement online via the app.

Advocate

• 

108 Messages

Il y a 1 a

I don't have the camera so I can't speak to that part of your post.
However, when you say: "All I want is the camera and an alert to my iPhone that the camera detected motion and can then view a saved clip of the detected movement online via the app", there are options out there that you can get that don't cost a monthly fee.  
I use Foscam cameras around my house that I can view anytime, set a schedule for motion recording, an option for human detection, night vision, pan/tilt control, etc.  The downside is the recordings are stored on a micro SD card in the camera.  I do get alerts and can download the video to my phone.  I think I paid less than $40 for the camera on sale on Amazon.  
My point is, if all you want is a camera and alerts on your phone, you might find something else that doesn't require a monthly fee.
The SS camera may be able to do that for you, just thought I'd throw in other options.
Hopefully someone with a camera or a SS representative can give you more detail.

Advocate

• 

417 Messages

Il y a 1 a

All I want is the camera and an alert to my iPhone that the camera detected motion and can then view a saved clip of the detected movement online via the app.

Then you do not want, nor should you buy, the SimpliCam.

Look up the Wyze Cam v3 which is better than the SimpliCam in every way except for the lack of the privacy shield and only costs $35 or roughly a third of the cost of the SimpliCam. It also supports an SD card so it can record EVERYTHING and let you scroll through footage to show a specific time. You can also add CamPlus which adds some functionality to the WyzeCam you may be interested in but it is entirely optional. (And there's a free 2 week trial for you to evaluate it.)

Community Admin

• 

2.9K Messages

Il y a 1 a

Hi shoptrek,

It is indeed a simple answer. The SimpliCam Indoor Camera is able to function as a standalone unit. You do not need a Base Station or any other SimpliSafe components for it to function.

- Johnny M.
SimpliSafe Home Security

3 Messages

Johnny, thanks for fast reply.  The forum here works better than email and I appreciate your turnaround.  Will purchase today.  It's just a starter brick toward upgrading my security systems, but probably the most important part.  I've been paying monthly for ADT monitoring and service since 1990 on my old Ademco Vista 10 system.  ADT now withholds appropriate service on old systems to pitch an upsell.  Looking forward to seeing your camera in action.  I appreciate what other commenters said, but "baby steps" for me with a system that I can grow.

Captain

• 

4.6K Messages

Il y a 1 a

@shoptrek  Being a former ADT customer about 9+ years ago, I will tell you Simplisafe, in my own humble opinion, is the best value and solution out there for home security. Not perfect, they always try to make things right and strive to improve.  The forums are very good, and the new Help Center can provide answers to many of your questions.

As always, if you do have questions on your new Simpiicam, call support , check the help center or post here. Have a great weekend.

BTW, if and when you do get monitoring, if you pay for 1 year you get 2 monhs free. Its available but for some reason SS doesn't advertise it.

3 Messages

Good customer service is darned important in home security.  Captain11, thanks for jumping in with that praise of SimpliSafe service options.  I'm now a customer, waiting for the camera to arrive.  I had a question today, a Sunday morning, and they were there answering the phone. Wow!  I've also seen a lot of reviews that said the same thing as your message.  At the same time, in looking at the Amazon reviews of the SimpliCam indoor camera, I'm surprised with how many people needed to get tech support to get it up and running.  My first foray into this video security age was with a Blink camera, which seemed to work flawlessly in numerous tests after installation.  Then I came back from a week's vacation and eventually walked over to the camera and noticed the detection light didn't show... I waited, waved (right in front of it) and waited some more... nada.  Restart, and then it passed the tests.  I knew I needed to keep looking.  So the SimpliSafe is my next real-world test.

Captain

• 

4.6K Messages

Il y a 10 m

@shoptrek I believe this quick story will tell you more about SS than many reviews.  I purchased 3 Simplicams as soon as they came out to cover my entire first floor of my house. Simplisafe has a feature/service called "visual verifciation" that if you opt in, if Dispatch sees someone on camera in an alarm condition, they don't waste time calling you, they just call the police. Through the camera, disptacher can also challenge the intruder.  After about 6 months, one camera had the privacy shutter stuck in the closed position and then another 2 months later disconnected and could not be installed

When I called support I was advised after a bit of troubleshooting the early production cameras had weak springs that could break (privacy shutter) and some had defective memory chips.  Both were promptly replaced at no charge under the warranty. Simplisafe is not by any means perfect but always tries to do the right thing. Again, experience is one's realtiy, but after 9+ years SS is "simply" the best value and most effective security solution out there. Period.

Advocate

• 

417 Messages

Il y a 10 m

@shoptrek,

I'll say it again - try the Wyze Cam v3. Other than the privacy shield it is a better product all around and at 1/3 of the price. It will generate the alerts you want and connect directly to Wi-Fi without a base station. It also has all of the following functionality which the SimpliCam does not:

- Local SD storage as well as cloud storage (in case your Wi-Fi drops, you won't lose recordings) that can record EVERYTHING so even if a motion alert doesn't trigger, you can review a specific time
- Color night vision
- Alarm (the camera can generate a loud alarm to scare off intruders)
- Motion detection that can delineate between all motion or one or more of pets, people, packages, etc. (Note: Requires CamPlus subscription)
- Can detect smoke/fire and/or CO alarms going off in your house using its onboard mic and alert you that a fire alarm has gone off
- Scheduling for alerts so you can disable alerts during specific times if you don't want to get them

There are plenty of good reasons to buy into the SimpliSafe eco-system but if all you need is:

a complete viable system that will alert me when the (camera) senses movement and it will automatically store a clip of what triggered it?

There are far better values out there.