dmedwick's profile

Wed, Feb 23, 2022 1:38 AM

Outdoor view delay

When checking the outdoor cameras first it says "waking up camera", then "connecting", then "launching live view". If you get an alarm you want to see the camera quickly not 5-8 seconds later. Can anything be set to speed that up?

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

6分前

@dmedwick I called support to ask the same question. They advised that due to the battery architecture these were necessary steps. Not being an electrical engineer like my father was (I know which end of a screwdriver to hold, however :-) if there is another power source like my two AC adapters for my cameras, I would think there would be a way to by pass that. Confident other, much smarter folks than I will explain the challenges.

On the plus side, the outdoor cameras are definitely getting faster to start streaming after each firmware update. And, for comparative purposes, the Simplicams were very slow when first released, but now are only a second or two.

Community Admin

• 

2.9K Messages

6分前

Hi @dmedwick ,

Yes, this is a side effect of the Outdoor Camera coming out of Deep Sleep, which is designed to preserve battery life when not in use. There's a little bit of a delay with the chain of connections, from your phone to our servers, then from the servers to your home's WiFi, then from your WiFi to the camera.

There should be a slightly faster response when the camera is triggered by actual alarm system events, as well as from the built-in Motion Sensor. But there's definitely room for improvement. We recently released an update with some gains on performance, but there is definitely more to come on that front.

Captain

• 

4.7K Messages

@davey_d​ Pointing out in my earlier post I am not an engineer, can you possibly ask one of the "techno wizards" what prevents a change in the firmware not to have the camera go into a "deep sleep" when the battery charging is no longer an issue due to the AC adapter providing power all of the time?  As a customer this would seem, on the surface, an easy thing to do, however, I do know in the real world that is usually not the case.

5分前

I would really like the camera to stay awake if plugged in to AC, especially since the cable was $50…

28 Messages

5分前

It would seem that at the very least, if the charge of the battery is sufficient, the circuit to SS should be sustained, in the same way it appears to be for the powered doorbell camera, or perhaps a variation of that so that a new circuit between the camera and SS doesn’t have to be initiated.  

What I don’t understand is if a trigger sends a notification and a video to SS which is accessible to a client app in a matter of a second or two, why does it take so long to establish a real-time connection? All the prep for establishing the circuit should have been done. Where’s the holdup?